door to door network analyst

04-18-2013 02:00 PM
NicolasTurinski
New Contributor
I am trying to create a door to door route using the network analyst extension. I have a road polyline shape file and an address point    shape file. I can use the network analyst to find the fastest route along the streets. I really want to be able to determine how to hit every house in the best order. I would like to be able to select the desired houses and have an efficient route created. I just downloaded a trial of the route finder that claims to work on a door to door basis but I am not finding that capability. Anyone have any suggestions on how target specific houses in the most efficient route?
Thank you
Nic
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If you want to find the best way to visit a set of locations, then you can turn on the "Reorder Stops to Find Optimal Route" option on the route analysis layer's properties (analysis tab). This capability is called the Traveling Salesman Problem.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Route_analysis/004700000045000000/

To get good results, make sure to set the curb approach property of each stop (right side, etc) and also note that this will work well for a set of locations spread over some area. What is your application for the routes you are trying to generate?

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
NicolasTurinski
New Contributor
If you want to find the best way to visit a set of locations, then you can turn on the "Reorder Stops to Find Optimal Route" option on the route analysis layer's properties (analysis tab). This capability is called the Traveling Salesman Problem.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Route_analysis/004700000045000000/

To get good results, make sure to set the curb approach property of each stop (right side, etc) and also note that this will work well for a set of locations spread over some area. What is your application for the routes you are trying to generate?

Jay Sandhu

I am trying to use the application for a door to door marketing campaign. I have used the reorder stops to show the best path through my street network but Im trying to have the results show the order of the individual homes. At this point I am using the optimized route and indvidually pulling information form each house using the idenity tool. I have found a route finder and easy route extensions   that sound like they may work for my needs. I will try and toggle with the curb approach property to see if that helps me achieve my desired results. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
Nic
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Door to door routing (high density routing) is typically solved with a different type of optimization called the Chinese Postman Problem. You will probably not get as good a result with the reorder stops option. At a minimum set the curb approach to right-side and set no u-turns allowed except at dead ends and you may get reasonable routes.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos