Does global turn delay evaluator really work in network analyst?

11-10-2014 05:06 PM
YaoShen
New Contributor

Hi!

I am just wondering anybody knows whether global turn delay evaluator really works in your cases.

I have been doing a test followed the official tutorial named 'Convincing the Chief' for understanding the impact of turns on traveling time. By using the sample data in this tutorial, I successfully built the GTDE (global turn delay evaluator), and then compared the results with GTDE with the results without GTDE. The results were the same, suggesting GTDE did not work actually. Dose anybody know why?

Plus, GTDE works in service area analysis, but does not in closest facilities analysis and OD matrix generation. Why?

Thanks for your answers and help.!!!!

The PDF of the tutorial: http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0309/files/chief.pdf

The data of this tutorial: http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0309/files/fd37_4.zip

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The Global Turn Delay evaluator DOES work, although I can't speak for this particular tutorial and data.  It was written for ArcGIS 9.3 after all, which was quite some time ago.  Perhaps something in the way you need to set it up has changed since then.  Here is the GTDE documentation for ArcGIS 10.2.x: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2).

Have you tried some simple test cases outside the tutorial?  For instance, zoom in on a particular intersection.  Create a Route layer, and drop two points, one on the road just before the intersection, and one on the road just after the intersection so that you would have to make a right turn to travel from the first to the second point.  Run the analysis with the GTDE and without, and see if the total travel time in the Route is the same.  If so, then something isn't working right, but if the one with the GTDE adds the delay time, then you know it's working.

0 Kudos
KarelKus
New Contributor II

Hi,

I Have the same problem, I am trying to use the GTDE for the VRP solver, but it does not have any effects on the total travel time in route properties of my VRP. Strange is that if I use the Route solver and same network dataset the evaluator works perfectly.

I did the similar experiment as described, just 4 points to visit + start and stop depot. If I run the VRP solver there is no change in travel time in compare to the run with GTDE turned off. If I run the Route solver the time is different exactly according to what I specify in Global turn delay evaluator.

I am using ArcMap 10.1.

I will appreciate any help or tips to this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos