Distance calculation between

03-20-2012 05:28 AM
ThomasVoets
New Contributor
Hello,

I will try to explain my problem by means of a the figurethat I attached in this post.

In the figure you can see the study area. Each small dot represents a biomass collection location. As you can see, the dots are divided in three different colors in order to create 3 subareas which each are visited by a truck to collect the biomass. The blue lines represents the existing road network in the study area. The large blue dot is the central biomass plant location, which is currently not relevant for the explanation of the problem.

For each of the 3 subareas, the biomass should be collected by a truck at each dot. This should be done in a way the distance to be traveled is as low as possible. Therefore, I would like to develop an algorithm which satisfies 2 important conditions:

1) After the first dot is visited, the next dot to be visited is the dot that is the closest to the first dot. The third dot, is the dot that is the clost to the second dot, and so on. In general, one could say that the next dot is the dot closest to the current dot, except dots that are already visited.
2) The sequence of the dots that are visited should afterwards be consultable for further analysis, just like the total distance and the distance that is traveled between each dot.

If possible, the distance over the existing road network should be calculated. However, since not all collection points are connected to a road network, Euclidian distance with also be satisfying.

I hope my explanation is clear !

Many thanks in advance...

Thomas Voets
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
ThomasVoets
New Contributor
Ok, I've gone throught it.

I support your idea of creating a VRP for each subarea. However, I should first give some further explanation concerning the background of my model.

The dots of the three subareas represent collecting locations of biomass.
The aim is now that a transport van with a mobile pyrolysis reactor on it, visits each collection location. The mobile pyrolysis reactor converts the biomass to oil, which is then 'tanked' into another van that transports the oil to the Overpelt Fabriek site. So, the van with the mobile pyrolysis reactor on it, does not return to the Overpelt Fabriek site but just visits each parcel after another, while the oil is brought to the Overpelt Site by the other van.

So, for my analysis I would just like to get the distance of the van with the mobile pyrolysis reactor on it without returning each day to the Overpelt Fabriek site. So the transport distance per subarea consists of the distance from the Overpelt Fabriek site to the first collection location plus the distance that is travelled to visit all other collection locations and then finally the distance to return to the Overpelt Fabriek site.

Is it possible to explain how I should deal with this situation in ArcGIS ?  I hope my explanation is clear.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry for keeping asking questions !
0 Kudos
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi Thomas,

Your problem is simpler than I thought. For each area, you only need one route. You can use Overpelt Fabriek site as the start and end depot, and use the number of orders in the area as the MaxOrderCount for the route.

Since the all orders in an area will be assigned to one route, solving the problem will take a while.

Thanks.

anna
0 Kudos
ThomasVoets
New Contributor
Hi Thomas,

Your problem is simpler than I thought. For each area, you only need one route. You can use Overpelt Fabriek site as the start and end depot, and use the number of orders in the area as the MaxOrderCount for the route.

Since the all orders in an area will be assigned to one route, solving the problem will take a while.

Thanks.

anna

Thanks again Anna!

However, still 2 questions.

First question: when I want to use the Overpelt Fabriek site as the start and end depot, is it enough to just load it as a location for the Depots? You can see in attachment the example for route 1 for which I loaded 378 locations as the orders and the Overpelt Fabriek site as the Depot.

Second question: How can I add the number of orders in the area as the MaxOrderCount for each route?

Many thanks again! Problem is almost solved 🙂

Thomas
0 Kudos
ThomasVoets
New Contributor
Thanks again Anna!

However, still 2 questions.

First question: when I want to use the Overpelt Fabriek site as the start and end depot, is it enough to just load it as a location for the Depots? You can see in attachment the example for route 1 for which I loaded 378 locations as the orders and the Overpelt Fabriek site as the Depot.

Second question: How can I add the number of orders in the area as the MaxOrderCount for each route?

Many thanks again! Problem is almost solved 🙂

Thomas

Forgot attachment. It should now be included.
0 Kudos
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor

Yes. Loading it once and use it for both start and end depot.

Right click Routes NA class to open Route properties and set MaxOrderCount value there.

I see you opened ArcTool dialog in the screenshot which is not needed at all. I would highly recommend you to go through the tutorial because all those questions are answered there. Also you can open the layer I created for you in my previous attachment to get a good understanding.

Good luck!

Anna
0 Kudos