Directions in multimodal network

02-08-2011 05:27 AM
SlobodanKostic
New Contributor
Hello all,

I've been trying to model directions that are logical and usable in multimodal network dataset of City of Belgrade, Serbia. I have no signposts data and creating it from scratch is probably endless task.
Dataset is quite simple, only street network and bus lines with bus stops. Problem is how to model directions with overlapping bus lines - ones that share same segments. For instance if solver generates route between points A to D (three segments: A-B, B-C, C-D) by using bus line No 95 and if  segment B-C is shared with bus line 104 how to avoid mentioning shared line in directions. Tutorial data doesn't cover this issue because ParisNet.gdb uses metro lines without shared segments.
So any starting point/advice is appreciated because I don't know where to start. Is this possible to solve this without using arcObjects and if it's not is there any examples, tutorials, snippets...?

Thanks for any help
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherClapp
New Contributor
Hey Slobodan,

Did you figure this out?  I'm having the same issue with overlapping lines trying to model the DC Metro (subway) system, and I noticed the same thing about the Paris.gdb tutorial data.  Any advice?

Thanks - Chris
0 Kudos
SlobodanKostic
New Contributor
Hello Chris,
Yes, I think I found solution. Navigate to thread:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1944&t=298246
There are few variants how to model multimodal network with overlapping routes. I used one with the elevation fields and one bus stop per every line that stops at certain point.

Slobodan
0 Kudos