Directions Disabled?

08-21-2011 06:48 PM
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
All,

I have a roads dataset that I have built into a network dataset. For some reason, the directions option is grayed out. I can do everything else with the network dataset but the directions option when creating the network dataset is disabled. Is my dataset missing something required for directions? I have all the necessary attributes (as far as I know). Can anyone tell me what the specific requirements are to build directions, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Bring up the properties of the network dataset and click on the Directions tab. Are the directions enabled? If not, then click on the Directions button and set at a minimum the field from which the street name for each edge will be populated. Click Ok and re-create the route layer and solve and directions should be enabled.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
Directions are not enabled. When I create the network dataset using the wizard, the option to use directions is grayed out. When I go to the properties of the network dataset and click on the 'Directions' tab, all options are grayed out. Have you ever seen this before?  I also tested directions on other datasets and it worked fine.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If directions are grayed out in the wizard then most likely your input feature class does not have any text field that can be used for directions. So check that and add some text field with street names and try again.
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
BenYoungs
New Contributor II
It turns out that I had multiple attributes that could pass for street names. When I eliminated these fields I was able to generate directions.
0 Kudos