Directional information with attribute

05-31-2012 10:26 PM
ZahirKhan
New Contributor
I require a solution/function to update direction information of a line segment in the digitzed direction i.e. from F node to T node traverse.
The directional information may be in char or int value in the linear feature attribute.
Purpose is to fetch data from a poly file while traversing a road segment, what lies on the left hand side and what lies on the right hand side
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Your question is very unclear. I will try my best

1. you want to update information on a line layer based on another line layer/ polygon layer that is not intersecting/touching the line layer.

I suggest you convert your information layers (poly and line) into  a point feature, pay attention to how it works

2. You would then do a spatial join with the following options:
a) one to many
b) set search distance to a value of your requirement
c) use aggregation operations ( i would use join+comma) as indicated here http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Example%20of%20aggregating%20field%20v...

I require a solution/function to update direction information of a line segment in the digitzed direction i.e. from F node to T node traverse.
The directional information may be in char or int value in the linear feature attribute.
Purpose is to fetch data from a poly file while traversing a road segment, what lies on the left hand side and what lies on the right hand side
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If you build a network dataset on your street data and then use the GP tool Calculate Locations on your point features, it will add the side of street information on to each point based on the closest edge (or subject to any query you could put in for locating).

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
ZahirKhan
New Contributor
We have road file (line feature) with column name LHS_Info and RHS_Info, and want to populate them with the NAME column of the locality file (poly feature) which the line feature passes. Most important the LHS_Info column have to be updated with the name of locality lying on the left hand side of the road and RHS_Info column have to be updated with the name of the locality lying on the right hand side of the road in the direction the road is digitized i.e. F node to T node.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
As I mentioned in the previous post, when you use Calculate Locations, it adds the OID of the line feature class and the side of street information on the input points. You can use that to populate the line feature class.
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos