Difficulties publishing network analysis service

Jump to solution
08-21-2012 11:18 PM
LigiaGafitescu
Occasional Contributor
I'm new with networks so probably my questions is quite stupid.

1) I am trying to publish on the server a map service with a network analysis capability. When I do so, the error tab says that the route layer/network layer is "not supported". What exactly do i have to publish in order to get that service?

2) I have another question concerning networks. I understand that the geometric network cannot be published as a capability of a map service. But for me this type of network would be more useful.So the question would be: do you know any way that I can use the functionality of a geometric network in a web-application?

ps: I use ArcGIS 10.0 (ArcEditor) and ArcServer 10.0

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

1) Agree with Joe, a license would be required when using the NA server capability with the map service.

What version of the ArcGIS do you use? If it is 10.0, just keep in mind that you are not allowed to publish .msd based services with the network dataset layers in it - this became possible only in 10.1. So, in 10.0 use .mxd based services when publishing a map service with the Network Analysis capability.

2) In 10.0, there is not very much you can with putting the geometric network functionality on the web (except developing SOE). In 10.1, we've got a whole Geometric Network GP toolset for working with geometric networks, which means that we can publish a geoprocessing service with a certain functionality (say tracing a geometric network) which could be consumed in a web application or in a desktop application.

There is a tutorial on this in ArcGIS 10.1 Help: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00570000009v000000

There are some prebuild tools published by the user community: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/arcobjects-net-api/details?entryID=0F09D031-1422-2418-8839-...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I'm new with networks so probably my questions is quite stupid.

1) I am trying to publish on the server a map service with a network analysis capability. When I do so, the error tab says that the route layer/network layer is "not supported". What exactly do i have to publish in order to get that service?

2) I have another question concerning networks. I understand that the geometric network cannot be published as a capability of a map service. But for me this type of network would be more useful.So the question would be: do you know any way that I can use the functionality of a geometric network in a web-application?

ps: I use ArcGIS 10.0 (ArcEditor) and ArcServer 10.0

Thank you.

I assume that you have a license for Network Analyst for Server?  A license for NA in desktop won't work for a published service.

Can't help you with #2. Sorry.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

1) Agree with Joe, a license would be required when using the NA server capability with the map service.

What version of the ArcGIS do you use? If it is 10.0, just keep in mind that you are not allowed to publish .msd based services with the network dataset layers in it - this became possible only in 10.1. So, in 10.0 use .mxd based services when publishing a map service with the Network Analysis capability.

2) In 10.0, there is not very much you can with putting the geometric network functionality on the web (except developing SOE). In 10.1, we've got a whole Geometric Network GP toolset for working with geometric networks, which means that we can publish a geoprocessing service with a certain functionality (say tracing a geometric network) which could be consumed in a web application or in a desktop application.

There is a tutorial on this in ArcGIS 10.1 Help: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00570000009v000000

There are some prebuild tools published by the user community: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/arcobjects-net-api/details?entryID=0F09D031-1422-2418-8839-...
0 Kudos
LigiaGafitescu
Occasional Contributor
Thank you very much for both answers. Tomorrow I'll download the 10.1 Trial Version and see what I can do.
0 Kudos