Creating a Safe Walking Route to Schools Network

Jump to solution
03-16-2021 06:07 PM
HazeyJamie
New Contributor II

I have been tasked with creating a network dataset that allows me to enter multiple points with the same end point that uses paths as the preferred routing method instead of roads centre lines.  I have created a network dataset using Ordnance Survey Paths and RAMI datasets but I have not been able to recreate the same results as google which is going to cause a huge issue.  Has anyone configured anything like this before?

HazeyJamie_0-1615942004272.png

HazeyJamie_1-1615943165171.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

For number 2, you can use the Closest Facility solver. Your school will be the 1 Facility and your several addresses will be loaded as Incidents. When you solve this, you will get many to 1 routes.

For your original question on routes not matching Google, you may not have the same network and/or the impedances and restrictions as the one they are using, so it is going to be hard to match the results. If there is something obvious wrong you should examine your network data and see what might be causing that issue.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Years ago in an undergrad course we did something like this. The key is to have separate edges for footways.

If you're lucky, there might already be some good sidewalk and pedestrian pathway data on OpenStreetMap. You could pull the Living Atlas feature layer of OSM highways into your map to preview it. OSM data, especially the highway features (which includes footways) tends to be "network-ready", in that it's already a series of topologically consistent nodes and edges.

To get the routing to work in the way you expect, however, is going to be purely a matter of configuring you network dataset and the nodes and edges of your network. Assign centerlines a high cost so that footways are preferred, for starters. Then perhaps adding relative preferences for signal-controlled crossings vs crosswalks vs unmarked crossings, things like that.

Unfortunately, network datasets aren't pre-configured for a "kids walking to school" travel mode, so it will take a bit of customizing to get something besides the typical shortest distance / shortest time travel modes.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HazeyJamie
New Contributor II

Many thanks for your response Josh.  I think I am going to have to defer to the walking route set when I built the network.  Part 2 of my problem is that I have to route several addresses to one end-point (school).  Is there a way to do this through GIS?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Were you looking to get multiple routes, or a single route that hits multiple addresses, like a "walking bus"?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

For number 2, you can use the Closest Facility solver. Your school will be the 1 Facility and your several addresses will be loaded as Incidents. When you solve this, you will get many to 1 routes.

For your original question on routes not matching Google, you may not have the same network and/or the impedances and restrictions as the one they are using, so it is going to be hard to match the results. If there is something obvious wrong you should examine your network data and see what might be causing that issue.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
HazeyJamie
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Project was a success.  For resolving the paths issue I had to upgrade to the latest version of UK Data Loader and ensure that both pathways and roads dataset were in the same source folder.  Then I could load the built network into Arc Pro.  I used closests facility option as advised by Jay, loading the addresses into the Incidents but also using Ordnance Surveys access points dataset (exporting the schools) as my Facilities, meaning that the route was not to the centre of the TOID but to the exact access point, as schools can have more than one. 

Still a way to go to get the process self serving on AGOL but I could complete 800 routes in a few days which 2 months ago I could never have done.

Thanks all for your help

Jamie 

0 Kudos