crash clusters in a network

12-16-2016 09:06 AM
henrickhaule
New Contributor

Hi

I am looking for a way to find and map crash clusters along a road network. Is there a way that i can achieve this in arcGIS even if it involves usage of python? I will appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Can you elaborate more on a few more aspects of your project to help GeoNet responders provide useful ideas:

• What version of the software do you have?  Are you using ArcGIS Desktop, Pro, other?
  • How is your data arranged?  Is it point data?  Line data?
  • Will you need to do statistical analysis to create the clusters?
  • Python is very commonly used with ArcGIS; can you comment further in regards to "even if it involves usage of python"?

One general comment - Network Analyst is typically used for routing, not for mapping per se.  That said, people do find new and interesting uses for this extension from time to time.  Do you have a Network Dataset already developed and a Network Analyst process underway?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
henrickhaule
New Contributor

Thanks Chris for your response, and most importantly on the use of network analyst(point taken).

I am using arcGIS Desktop 10.4.1, I have coordinates of crash locations for a one year period and i want to find locations in which these points are highly congested so that i can focus on characteristics of  those locations.I cannot use KDE because my crashes are constrained in a network while this tool does not take account of that. I did mention python as one way in which i am willing to use in achieving my goal as long as one can provide me with a way to do it.

0 Kudos