Closest Facility Tool Not Routing between all Sites

07-05-2011 10:03 AM
JimMcIntosh
New Contributor
Admittedly I'm new to network analyst...I'm trying to use the Closest Facility tool to create routing.  I have 5 locations loaded into facilities and 34 locations loaded as incidents.  When I run the solver I'm only get 8 routes, I should be getting 170 results.  What can I change or how can I fix it so that I get results for every site?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The closest facility sovler finds the specified number of facilities from each incident. So if you have 34 incidents and 5 facilities, set the CF properties to find 5 facilities and solve. if you are getting less than your 34 times 5 or 170 routes, then there is probably some network dataset issue that says there are no paths between your sets of locations. This could be due to some barrier or other restrictions or could be bad connectivity in your data.

So what network dataset are you using and what restrictions do you have on?

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JimMcIntosh
New Contributor
The network dataset came from a shapefile that was cropped out of the streetmap_na data that came with ArcGIS.  The setting are

Facilities to find: 5
Travel From: Incident to Facility
Allow U Turns:  Everywhere
Output Shape Type: True Shape
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
The network dataset came from a shapefile that was cropped out of the streetmap_na data that came with ArcGIS.  The setting are

Facilities to find: 5
Travel From: Incident to Facility
Allow U Turns:  Everywhere
Output Shape Type: True Shape

Are you sure you want to rout from incident to facility and not faclity to incident?
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JimMcIntosh
New Contributor
I've tried it in both directions and I've yet to get what I'm looking for.  It could go in either direction; I'm calculating driving distances for employees from potential relocation sites.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Most likely your data has disconnected areas. You could create a service area layer, load your 5 incidents and do a 10 or 15 minute service area (turn on the Lines as well) and see if you can reach other parts of the network.
Since you clipped it out of street map, how about using the original street map with your problem instance to see if that will give you the paths you need?
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos