Calculating Driving Distances - Many-to-One

08-08-2011 08:07 AM
MichaelLachman1
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

This question is a variation on a thread from a few days ago:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/30795-calculating-driving-distances

To calculate shortest route from an entire feature class of origin points to a single destination feature, would you:

a). Before adding locations execute a looping script that duplicates the destination feature once for each origin record, then adds a RouteName field and populates it with OIDs to pair destinations with origins;

b). write a looping script that adds the destination feature as a location once for each origin feature (not sure how the RouteName would be set to be different each time);

c). something much more simple and elegant than either a or b. 😛

thanks,

Michael
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
may be just make all your origins as incidents and destination as the only facility and do a closest facility ? 😛

or why not do a OD matrix ?
0 Kudos
MichaelLachman1
New Contributor
Oh, wow.

Someone (me) needs to read the manual a little more carefully. 😮

Thanks for bringing me back to planet Earth, Srirama.
0 Kudos
MichaelLachman1
New Contributor
So, I'm expanding the problem definition:  Assume that I want to use a hard start time as is available in the route solver.  Neither the Closest Facility nor the OD Matrix solver supports start times as far as I can tell.  Is there a way to add this capability to either?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
At version 10.0, only VRP and Route solver support a start time. In 10.1, all the other solvers including CF and OD support it as well. So you could get on the 10.1 beta program (going on currently) and use that software to solve with start times!

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Here is the URL to ArcGIS Beta Community site, http://betacommunity.esri.com.  Network Analyst has two open Beta projects and can be found in ArcGIS for Desktop Extensions and ArcGIS for Server Extensions sections.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
MichaelLachman1
New Contributor
Thanks for the info and link, Jay and Denise; it's good to hear that expansion of the time capabilities of network analyst is ongoing.  I'll check out what's going on in the beta community.

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos