Barriers with time window

05-21-2014 09:32 PM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
We would like to get a route that uses barriers that exists just in time window.
For example we know some road will be closed from 10 to 12. We would like the route to be able to use this segment only before or after this time.
Is there any way to do it?

Thanks
Mody
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ThibautDelaere1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions!

Did you just say that you can use the time an element is traversed in a 'normal' script evaluator? If so, how?

As you're interested in the use-case:

We are setting up a "visualisation and information tool for 'RIS' (River information services)". One part of the system (that I'm setting up) is a route calculation module for skippers that takes into account all kinds of restrictions on the fairways. I already used the custom evaluator with time schedules sample to make some custom evaluators for the operation times of locks and operated bridges (Thanks for that!), set restrictions for the dimensions of the vessels, speed limits, turning basins, etc. Thats all working fine.

Now I want to take into account the NtS (http://www.ris.eu/expert_groups/nts ) messages. That's some kind of traffic information for waterways. These messages may say for instance that a fairway is blocked by dredging on Mondays between 8am and 10am. These messages can be located by RIS codes that link to about 14000 point locations (our current working area). At the moment we see about 150-200 messages a week for our working area. They can be added, deleted or edited at any time.

At the moment I'm thinking to add a separate layer to the network dataset for those NtS messages and add a time-aware restriction evaluator to it. This means a network rebuild will be needed when the NtS messages are updated, or, we might update them with a certain frequency.

Patrick Stevens​: If you have some time, could you look at another question I have? Show ETA from locations on the network when calculating route

Mody Buchbinder​: sorry to hijack your thread!

0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor

I assumed that the script evaluators would have access to time.  It doesn't look like that is case.  I see AttributeValueByName is available, but AttributeValueAtTime is not.  I'll go back and edit that post, so no one gets misled.  Thanks for catching that!

Very interesting use-case. It seems like the custom evaluator could handle it, especially if you cache the 14000 restrictions in memory during Initialize, and also during Refresh when you notice that an update has occurred.  Melinda Morang's GTFS evaluator does similar work and can handle much more than 14k in-memory restriction times.  But if that doesn't work, rebuilding the network would be inconvenient but not impossible.  150-200 rebuilds a week on a regional network (as-in, not a nation full of streets), seems doable.

As to your request to check out another post on the forum, I'm not sure how to set up directions to work for you, so I sent a note to a co-worker who might be able to better answer your question.  Hope you get your answer soon.

0 Kudos
佳奇李
New Contributor

Sorry, I curious about how to create the custom evaluator. 

Is there any tutorial of this all work?

Very appreciate!

0 Kudos
FrankK
by
New Contributor II

The original post here is from 2014 and is referring to ArcGIS Desktop (that is not ArcGIS Pro).

We do not have similar functionality in Pro yet ... we are currently working on including this in Pro but it will most likely be a different approach as compared to Desktop.

So that being said if you are using ArcGIS Desktop there are some samples at

https://github.com/Esri/arcobjects-sdk-community-samples/tree/master/Net/Networks

See SubsetNetworkEvaluators and\or SelectionRestriction.

0 Kudos