Accumulate timber haul volume over a road network.

11-05-2018 02:44 PM
KevinKozak
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am new to Network Analyst. I have been asked to determine accumulated timber haul volume over a forest road network. The analysis will be used to determine road maintenance needs due to higher haul volume. I have watched the training videos, but not seen an example of this type of analysis with Network Analyst.

Here is my example. We have timber sale polygons with timber volumes. Road A ends at timber sale 1 which has a volume of 100. Road B ends at timber sale 2 and has a volume of 300. Both roads meet at Road C, which is the end of the road network. Road C would have a total volume of 400.

What would be the type of analysis to perform to solve this questions?

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If the timber volumes are attached to the street features of your network dataset, then you can create an impedance attribute called TimberVolume and load it from the field in your street features. Build the network. Now when you solve a route analysis minimizing length, you can choose to accumulate another impedance attribute. You can pick the TimberVolume. Now when the path is returned it will have the total volume on it. You can then run the Copy Traversed Source Features and this will create a line feature class of every edge that was traversed by the path and it will have the individual accumulates on each edge.

Look up the accumulate attributes on route tool:

Make Route Analysis Layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

And traversed features here:

Copy Traversed Source Features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
KevinKozak
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your reply. The timber volume is not an attribute of the line. We will have points with that data. I have been reading more and I was wondering if an origins destinations cost matrix analysis would work. The origins would be the timber volume point feature class that are at the end of the roads. We would have the destinations be the junctions of the forest roads to county roads. The timber volume would be accumulation cost attribute. My customer may want to display the routes so I may need to use closest facility analyses as the documentation points out.

Would this be one approach?

Thank you,

Kevin 

0 Kudos