3D network analysis

07-26-2011 04:22 AM
NorsenRuan
New Contributor
Hi,
I have 97 points and 4656 lines contains 3d coordinates and have to do 3D network analysis with them. But now I am facing some problems.
First, I used ArcMap to do network analysis, but no matter where I add a stop, those stops are all "unlocked". Therefore, I cannot continue my work anymore. I doubted that's because they contains Z-cor, so I tried ArcScene to solve, however, as I used the finding route model in tutor, after adding stops I still got error message said "points are unlocked".
Could anyone told me what happened and how to solve my problems? Though I've read tutor I still can't figure out why, so thanks for giving any advice.

The file I have performing in ArcSecne is like below:

It's really a big file and contains lots of lines, so I am even not sure whether it can run network analysis in ArcGIS...

Thanks for any help again.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcMap is a 2-D app. If you click on the screen to add "Stops" on a 3D network dataset most likely it will not "locate" these stops on any edge. If you have 3D locations that you want to use as Stops, put them in a point feature class and then use the GP tool CalculateLocations on it. Now you can Load Locations these 3d point features using the pre-computed Network Locations (not geometry) into a Stop layer and solve.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
NorsenRuan
New Contributor
Jay:
      Thanks very much for your help. I have succeeded on calculating the point feature, and I used it to create a Stop layer. If it is a right step, do I need to write a new model for network analysis just like tutorial do?
      Thanks again.

Norsen
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Glad it worked.

The model in the 3D network tutorial is meant for use in ArcScene where you can visualize the 3d lines but cannot directly add a network dataset and solve on it.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos