Create and display multi stop routes from selected features

03-14-2018 10:51 AM
Dawn_Scott
New Contributor III

I have a web map showing utility assets (points) that need to be visited each day.  I want to be able to select a portion of the asset points (say 30 per field worker), calculate an optimal route, and display the route in Navigator or other app on Ipad.  Can someone suggest how to select features and create multi-stop routes in ArcGIS Online or other ESRI tool?  I'm having trouble finding this scenario in the documentation.

Tags (1)
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Dawn Robbins‌,

There are a few different ways you can accomplish what you want. In the end, using the current version of Navigator, you'll have to make use of the URL Scheme (see the navigator-integration GitHub below) to load the route. I've attached some links below that might give some ideas, but in short you can either:

• Write a custom script to generate Navigator URL's 
  • Create a Route Layer (Online or from Pro), and share the accompanying Navigator URL that is generated to field workers

Based on what you describe, it sounds like using the Plan Routes tool may be your best option to create your Route Layers. Make sure to select the Include route layers option as this will create individual Route Layer item's. After they're created, you can either send the Route Layer item URL to the field workers (which will have a button to Open in Navigator from a mobile device) or send them the URL from the Navigator Stop List hyperlink (which will launch Navigator when they tap it).

Plan a Route in ArcGIS Online and Use it in Navigator - YouTube 

Plan Routes—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Plan a Route in Online, and Use it in Navigator (September 2017) | ArcGIS Blog 

GitHub - Esri/navigator-integration: Navigator URL scheme