Issues with email alerts in ArcGIS Monitor 10.7.1

03-05-2020 10:27 AM
EricAnderson_DHS
Occasional Contributor

Hey everyone,

I need a little assistance helping determine if the issue we are having with alerts in ArcGIS Monitor is on our end (with the SMTP), or with the ArcGIS Monitor application itself.

We configured the ArcGIS Monitor email settings with our SMTP and made sure the admin email configured there was the same as the contact in the collection. The test email goes through successfully and we can receive that. However, other alerts (even something as simple as sending a password reset request) are not going through.

In the emailDynamic log file, the last item I see is "ArcGIS Monitor email returned...". Does this mean it was sent back because of an issue with the SMTP? Any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot this from the Monitor side of things?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Email should work if it tests successfully in the EMAIL setup window from the config.db file.  Please verify you are using valid Email addresses; either an individual person's Email or group alias.  Are you running a virus scanner or endpoint security? Check your virus/security logs to verify they are not blocking Emails. I have seen McAfee block ArcGIS Monitor Email notifications with a message "Protection: Prevent mass mailing worms from sending Email". See attached example McAfee log.McAfee log - blocking Email

0 Kudos
EricAnderson_DHS
Occasional Contributor

Just to follow up on this, the issue was that Microsoft Exchange was quarantining emails from Amazon SES. There was some type of relay in the middle that had a different FQDN which was the source of a bottleneck (from = @companydomain.com, goes to amazonses.com, and then a to: address of @companydomain.com). Most likely a broader issue between Amazon and Microsoft. Still very curious that test emails from ArcGIS Monitor were able to get through, but not any other type of email notification (even something as simple as a user password reset). 

0 Kudos