Support fully automated installation & configuration of ArcGIS Monitor & remote Agents

03-07-2024 01:28 AM
Tobias_Gerber
New Contributor III

In a large IT environment, it should be possible to fully automate both the installation and configuration of software (infrastructure as a code).
Currently, such a fully automated installation and configuration of ArcGIS Monitor including remote ArcGIS Monitor Agents is not possible.

This could be done with a REST admin interface or support through ArcGIS Powershell DSC.

Use cases: new installation from scratch, staging the config to another environment, upgrading monitor and  remote agents to a new version

7 Comments
GeoJosh
Status changed to: Under Consideration

tigerwoulds

Agreed. Monitor is the only piece of our stack we cannot deploy with PowerShell DSC. Would love to see this in the future. 

GeoJosh

@Tobias_Gerber@tigerwoulds  I have marked this idea as "Under Consideration" but would like to let you both know that ArcGIS Monitor can be installed silently, as outlined in this documentation. I understand that this does not fully address the request and we will consider Powershell DSC integration for a future release.

Josh

Tobias_Gerber

Thanks @GeoJosh for pointing to the documentation for a silent installtion. If I understand this documentation correctly, I can - for example - install an agent (ArcGIS Monitor Agent feature) silently. But I cannot configure this agent silently (the remote Agent needs the URL of the Monitor Server and a account/pw to connect after the installation).

GeoJosh

@Tobias_Gerber,

This is true at Monitor 2023.3.1. Starting at 2024.0, the Agent post-install will no longer take place in a browser. It will now be completed via command line utilities, which opens the door to configuring agents programmatically and remotely.

Tobias_Gerber

Thanks @GeoJosh for this update. Good to hear that 2024.0 will support a programmatically installation and configuration of an agent.

Parallel to this the support with PowerShell DSC would be desirable too - so that the complete Esri stack can be installed in this way.

AYUSHYADAV

We should also be able to deploy it using chef.