Select to view content in your preferred language

Linux Support for Unreal Engine

a month ago
Antonis
New Contributor

Dear ESRI team,

Is there any plan for supporting linux in UE in the near future?

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

We are currently evaluating support for Linux. To help inform our plans support, we would love to find out more about your plans for both development and deployment of apps on Linux.

• Do you want to both develop on Linux and deploy apps to Linux?
  • For development and/or deployment, which Linux distributions are you intending to use/target? (e.g. Ubuntu, SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS)
  • Do you need support for just x64 or are you instead/also looking at ARM64?
  • What type of hardware/devices will you be building apps for?
  • Anything else...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Antonis
New Contributor

Hi Michael,

• Yes, we need to both develop and deploy our applications.
  • We primarily use Ubuntu, but some members of our team use other distributions like Arch. It's critical that there aren't any dependencies on third-party libraries that could conflict with the Unreal Engine ones. Additionally, any precompiled libraries you provide should be compiled with the same libc++ version Unreal Engine uses. If not, we would have ABI incompatibility.
  • Currently, we are targeting x64. However, ARM support could be considered as optional for us.
  • We are developing applications specifically for desktops and laptops.

Thanks

A.A.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

That's excellent information, thanks - I've added to our internal issue.

Thanks

Mike 

0 Kudos
Antonis
New Contributor

Hi Michael, is there a time frame for the development of this functionality?

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

We plan to continue the R&D through 2024. It's possible we'll able to support Linux in late-2024 but cautiously I'd estimate mid-2025.

We'd love to hear more about how you're using, or planning to use, our Maps SDK for Unreal Engine - feel free to email me: mbranscomb@esri.com.

Thanks

0 Kudos