Select to view content in your preferred language

What source does 3DObjctLayer use?

02-21-2023 09:57 AM
TomerBraff
New Contributor

Hello, I am trying to utilize the ArcGIS Unity C# API. I've gone through the tutorials, and right now I'm trying to utilize my own 3D models with their own textures as a source for the 3DObjectLayer I want to put on top of the map.

All of the tutorials only use custom ArcGIS URLs as sources, and no other tutorial out there shows how to use anything other than those provided URLs. I want to be able to create my own custom layers with my own models, FBX files of Toronto and New York , but every time I try to use them as a source I get an error

ArcGISLayerViewState buildings changed to : Error (IO error.)
Additional info: Unable to open or read file, it may be in a different format or corrupted: [user directory]/Assets/Materials/Toronto_FBX_files/Toronto_N_0.fbx
UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)

Is this something that is intended to be used with ArcGISPro? I currently don't have access to the program in my company, and I see that the URLs provided give the same JSON data that things like this do (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ca0470dbbddb4db28bad74ed39949e25), but using those don't seem to work either.

What's the intended workflow in utilizing different sources for these layers? If it's URL based, how do I generate the URL I want for my 3DObjectLayer, and if I am able to utilize files like FBX how do I utilize those as sources?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
and1
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello, you can also load local SLPKs (Scene Layer Packages) other than the URL-based service. If you have your own 3D model, usually you would import your 3D files (I don't think .fbx are supported, but there are other options such as .3ds, .wrl, .dae, .obj etc.) to ArcGIS Pro, and from there you can add texture/color to your 3D model, then either publish your 3D object scene layer as URL based service or generate it as a local .SLPK. I've also seen people using Revit to generate SLPKs, but it's more for building scene layer.

Some useful resource:

Import 3D Files to ArcGIS Pro 

3D Object Scene Layer 

Create 3D Object Scene Layer Content 

and1
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

One more information you might found it useful. Instead of importing 3D models as scene layers, we have the ArcGIS Location component that allows you to place object with GIS coordinates so users can import FBX directly to Game Engines without using any Esri technology and place it to the right position by attaching the ArcGIS Location component and specify the position with GIS coordinates + Spatial Reference WKID.

0 Kudos