Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiplayer

Jump to solution
09-14-2022 11:20 PM
ChristofferLindellBolin
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am curios whether if it would be feasible in Unity with ArcGis to allow multiple players in the world at the same time. I read that ArcGis only supports one active camera and that you could instead place a fixed camera at a position to get a certain LOD. However, if for example one player is really closeup and the other far up and the camera is placed high up the player closeup would get really bad detail. Furthermore if the players would be at different locations or looking in different directions, this type of approach would not work?

So my question is in regards to if there is a certain approach to support multiple players in the same world and if so, how would one go about it?

Thankful for help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

Hi Christoffer,
So the LOD fetching and one camera paradigm is only relevant client side. It is certainly possible to create a multiplayer game. You just need to pass each player's characters properties to the other so that each client can render the other player.

In other words, if on Player A's screen they are really close to one part of a city they only need to see the content right in front of them. It does not matter to Player B what conent player A has loaded because that is only needed client side. On Player B' screen they will render the content that they need to see which may contain player a and a less detailed view of the content on Player A's screen.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

Hi Christoffer,
So the LOD fetching and one camera paradigm is only relevant client side. It is certainly possible to create a multiplayer game. You just need to pass each player's characters properties to the other so that each client can render the other player.

In other words, if on Player A's screen they are really close to one part of a city they only need to see the content right in front of them. It does not matter to Player B what conent player A has loaded because that is only needed client side. On Player B' screen they will render the content that they need to see which may contain player a and a less detailed view of the content on Player A's screen.