Select to view content in your preferred language

Custom Maps Layer and Basemaps

08-11-2022 05:51 AM
roostorf
Emerging Contributor

Hey I have been working with ArcGIS Maps SDK for unity for the past few days and starting to get the hang of it except I have been having trouble customizing the map.  

Just for an example say I want to use this watercolor map
https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=21812b28afea4091bc57472297aa73d4

From my research on this page

https://developers.arcgis.com/unity/layers/

it seems like we use the id number 

21812b28afea4091bc57472297aa73d4,

and place the URL

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/21812b28afea4091bc57472297aa73d4/data

in the custom basemap source URL. 

This just makes the entire map white for me.  I have gotten a few URLs to work but most are either white or a copy of the satellite images.   I signed up and downloaded for ArcGIS pro, because I read I could make a .tpk or .tpkx file from there and use that as well but have not been able to figure that out either.
I would really like to figure out how to customize the colors and other aspects of my map but keep running into issues.  What is the best way for me to go about customizing my map for Unity SDK? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
coryeicher
Frequent Contributor

re: second part. What kind of data do you have... or what kind of map are you trying to make?

Assuming you have discrete object data that you want to map. These include: points, lines, polygons, or multipatches (classic multipatch example is a building shell)...

... Here are some doc links with steps for publishing your own operational data for consumption in Unity using the SDK. 

As noted in the pretty table in Operational layers in web scenes, both 2D and 3D data are generally supported. In some cases you will want/need to generate 3D from 2D. You can do this in ArcGIS Pro. Recommend 3D Analyst license to do this in bulk, but possible to do manually without that product. Note: 3Difying your data happens in ArcGIS Pro and prior to publishing to service.

Looking for a working example? Linz, Austria Scene includes an operational layer of buildings. You can configure this to display in Unity. Building Linz is the item link and here is the service URL.

Lastly, you can display other types of layers in Unity. I focused on discrete data. If your needs are different, you will want to explore some of the other ArcGIS 3D layer types listed in the pretty table in Operational layers in web scenes, My take is that ArcGIS Unity supports a _subset_ of these layer types at this time.

CORY EICHER
www.eichcorp.com
cory@eichcorp.com
0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

The Layers documentation page in the ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unity documentation covers the layer types that are currently supported:

In ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unity, basemap layers are currently limited to image tile layers. Image tile layers can use an online image tile service or a local image tile package as a data source. See Image tile layers below for more information.

Specifically:

But in short, we currently support image tile layers as basemap and data layers, and 3D object scene layers and integrated mesh scene layers as data layers. All layer types can read from a service or a local package.