S-57 to Geodatabase Import Error

3035
7
09-24-2015 03:47 AM
Labels (1)
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to import a S-57 data into ENC geodatabase using the S-57 to Geodatabase Tool and I get the following error:

----------------------------------

Import report for cell TW404512

----------------------------------

    Access violation at 0x77FA6795 : bad read on 0x00000000

    Access violation at 0x77FA6795 : bad read on 0x00000000 (-2147418113)

Total import time: 0 Hrs 0 Mins 28 Secs

The S-57 data and import log are attached. How can I fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Amy

Reply
0 Kudos
7 Replies
New Contributor III

Hi Amy,

I was able to import this cell into a file geodatabase using the Import S-57 to Geodatabase geoprocessing tool. Can you tell me a bit more about your setup? What release of ArcGIS Desktop are you working with, and, are you importing into one of the ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting schemas provided by the solution?

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi Craig,

My ArcGIS Desktop release 10.2.2.3552

The schema I'm using is ENC data model from the ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting.

Best Regards,

Amy

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info.

The GP tool is not available in 10.2.2. I have tested this with the icommand importer as well and it successfully imported (10.3.1).

If you are able to move to 10.3.1, this is the best solution, as you would have access to the new GP importer and the icommand version has been updated to be more fault tolerant. Also, you do not need to set a Product Library to import data at 10.3.1.

If you are not able to move to 10.3.1, there could be a variety of solutions. I noticed the attached data has DEPARE lines, which, according to an IHO encoding bulletin, are not supposed to be captured any more. It could be that the old importer is not able to map them (while the 10.3.1 version just ignores features it cannot map). It could also be something in your setup, like the Product Library you are using, which again, would not be required at all in 10.3.1.

Let me know if you are able to move up to 10.3.1 or if you would like to work with someone from Maritime technical support to troubleshoot this in 10.2.2. Also, it would be good to understand your goals with the software. Are you just hoping to ingest and visualize S-57, or is this for production purposes?

Thanks.

New Contributor

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your explaination.

It's for production purpose. I need to import this S-57 cell so that I can make some edits in ArcMap and export to a new S-57 file.

I'll contact our local ESRI agency to see if they can troubleshoot this issue in 10.2.2.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Amy

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi Craig,

In 10.2.2, if import successful, there will be a log file summarize all the feature classes and feature counts have converted. Does the GP tool in 10.3.1 still write import log? If so, could you send me the log file you have tested. I'm trying to figure out what feature in my S-57 data causes the import process to fail.

Best Regards,

Amy

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

The GP tool logs in the GP window. However, I was also able to import this cell with the Icommand you are using in version 10.2.2.

The only features that were not mapped were the DEPARE_L features. Again, these are not mapped because of the IHO encoding bulletin. However, you can add the mapping to the product xml and they will be imported. I am not convinced that this is why your import fails, but it is a possible source of the problem.

Attached is the log file from the Icommand import.

Reply
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your information.

Reply
0 Kudos