Point feature classes rotation problem

Jump to solution
10-01-2013 12:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Celil

Hello,

Is there any way to rotate point feature classes of the Aeronautical database automatically ? For example we can talk about holding pattern feature class, we need to rotate them  but not by a fixed value. Annotation feature classes has a placement properties and their rotation can be automated by a attribute so I use this way to rotate holding pattern's annotation classes like inbound course value. It can be link by the any short integer field on the holding pattern carto feature class but if you look at the holding pattern carto class itself, i couldn't see any way to automate the rotation of the symbol. You can give a angle to representation of the holding pattern carto feature class representation but it is a stable value and can not be automate like annotation classes. Is there any way to do this that I'm missing or just for now there is no way for this ?

With visual specifications tool production of the representations and their rotations can be automate very well but it can only use for the specifications which rule types defined as a field for this subject. Is there anyway to automate rotations for the representation rule types ?

Waiting for the reply and thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KiyoshiYamashita
Esri Contributor
Celil,

Cartographic representations allow you can specify an override field that will be used for the rotation of the symbol.  So, instead of having to enter a static value for the ???Angle??? in the representation rule properties, you get to use an attribute value that allows you to have a more dynamic rotation.  To do this, you need to click the ???display field overrides??? button and then pick the attribute/field to use for the rotation.  On the HoldingPattern_C feature class, this will likely be CartoAngle_Val.  See fig1.png for an example.

You can also achieve the same effect when using VST Calculated Representations to apply your symbology.  After building your VST rule, make sure you set your desired override in the Explicit Override Fields column.  See fig2.png for an example.  Be aware that to use technique, each VST rule must apply the same representation rule to all of the features selected by the rule???s SQL statement.  In other words, you have to select a representation rule from your style file to apply and cannot use the Expression option (see fig3.png).

I hope this answer is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KiyoshiYamashita
Esri Contributor
Celil,

Cartographic representations allow you can specify an override field that will be used for the rotation of the symbol.  So, instead of having to enter a static value for the ???Angle??? in the representation rule properties, you get to use an attribute value that allows you to have a more dynamic rotation.  To do this, you need to click the ???display field overrides??? button and then pick the attribute/field to use for the rotation.  On the HoldingPattern_C feature class, this will likely be CartoAngle_Val.  See fig1.png for an example.

You can also achieve the same effect when using VST Calculated Representations to apply your symbology.  After building your VST rule, make sure you set your desired override in the Explicit Override Fields column.  See fig2.png for an example.  Be aware that to use technique, each VST rule must apply the same representation rule to all of the features selected by the rule???s SQL statement.  In other words, you have to select a representation rule from your style file to apply and cannot use the Expression option (see fig3.png).

I hope this answer is helpful.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Celil

Kiyoshi,

Thanks for the quick response and solution. Field overrides makes it as i want. This feature can make any feature class more dynamic. There is no way that the team think about the annotation features without thinking its carto class but just i couldn't realize this feature.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos