Declination Diagram (Arrow) Tool

Jump to solution
05-29-2015 07:43 PM
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I have downloaded the Declination Diagram toolbox for ArcGIS 10.2 and am having some difficulties with it's execution.

I follow the instructions provided and have copied the elements into my map.

When running the tool in my projected map (UTM z XX), it does calculate True North and a centroid for my map, however the tool calculates the Magnetic Declination Angle in Decimal Degrees as 'None', and hence it spits out the following:

Magnetic Declination Angle in Decimal Degrees = None

Annual Drift = None

Magnetic Declination Direction = W

Exception : int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

The tool fails to execute.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to why the tool is calculating the magnetic declination angle as None?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinOdell

Well, I was able to answer my own question.

The World Magnetic Model 2015-2020 coefficients were being installed to a separate location, and were not overwriting the existing WMM.xml file that the Declination Tool was looking for.  i.e. I had 2 x WMM.xml files located in different places.

After searching for, and updating the WMM.xml file that the Declination tool uses, everything works as expected.

This has since raised a new problem however, in that my Grid North does not point straight up, but rather True North does, despite the UTM projection...

View solution in original post

11 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Is your data also projected into UTM?

0 Kudos
JustinOdell

Yes, all datasets have been projected to the right UTM zone.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Great! Just to be clear, this is not the tool from the Production Mapping Extension (ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) ), but is this stand alone Python script: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=dd664ce915214390b8cb8babb09a84bd? I'm just unsure, because you posted this in the Production Mapping subgroup, but then seemed to describe the script tool.

JustinOdell

Yes, that link relates to the tool I am using.

I posted in Production Mapping since the tool has been made by 'ProductionMappingTeam'

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Just a thought: what geographic area is your data?

0 Kudos
JustinOdell

Data is completely contained within UTM Zone 56 South.

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

I encountered the same issue as you. I am running ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop Build 3348 and Esri Production Mapping 10.2 Build 2714.

I have downloaded and installed Patch2 Build 3012 for Esri Production Mapping from the following link:

Mapping and Charting Solutions 10.2 Patch 2 | Samples and Utilities

I have downloaded and installed the World Magnetic Model (WMM) coefficient update 2015-2020 from the following link:

World Magnetic Model (WMM) coefficient update 2015-2020 | Samples and Utilities

The World Magnetic Model (WMM) coefficient update 2015-2020 should resolve your issue.

I deleted the contents of the CreateDeclinationDiagram.zip and unzipped the contents again and followed the instructions in the Getting Started with Create Declination Diagram Template.pdf. I launched ArcMap and opened a brand new Untitled.mxd. I added data. I changed the coordinate system of the data frame to UTM Zone 56 South. I saved the MXD. I then copied the Declination Diagram from the CreateDeclinationDiagramTemplate.mxd to my new saved MXD. I ran the Create Declination Diagram script tool and it completed and generated a declination diagram without error.

If you still run into errors, you can contact Esri Technical Support at the following link:

Contact Tech Support

If you do contact support and create a support case, please request that the case be routed to me.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dan

JustinOdell

Thanks Dan,

This is particularly helpful.

I have installed the Patch, as well as the World Magnetic Model coefficient update.

I followed the steps exactly as you outlined, but still no luck...

Script.jpg

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your response. Can you please delete the DeclinationDiagram toolbox from ArcToolbox and re-add it using the instructions in the Getting Started with Create Declination Diagram Template.pdf.

What happens?

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos