Declination Diagram (Arrow) Tool

Jump to solution
05-29-2015 07:43 PM
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I have downloaded the Declination Diagram toolbox for ArcGIS 10.2 and am having some difficulties with it's execution.

I follow the instructions provided and have copied the elements into my map.

When running the tool in my projected map (UTM z XX), it does calculate True North and a centroid for my map, however the tool calculates the Magnetic Declination Angle in Decimal Degrees as 'None', and hence it spits out the following:

Magnetic Declination Angle in Decimal Degrees = None

Annual Drift = None

Magnetic Declination Direction = W

Exception : int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

The tool fails to execute.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to why the tool is calculating the magnetic declination angle as None?

11 Replies
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

Well, I was able to answer my own question.

The World Magnetic Model 2015-2020 coefficients were being installed to a separate location, and were not overwriting the existing WMM.xml file that the Declination Tool was looking for.  i.e. I had 2 x WMM.xml files located in different places.

After searching for, and updating the WMM.xml file that the Declination tool uses, everything works as expected.

This has since raised a new problem however, in that my Grid North does not point straight up, but rather True North does, despite the UTM projection...

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

That is normal. The data frame is by default lined up with true north. If you want to rotate it, you can set that under data frame properties, general tab.

0 Kudos