Creating many line features with python script

07-30-2015 10:41 AM
Labels (3)
AlexWallach
New Contributor

I am currently analyzing a point density map from data taken over a mountainous area in ArcMap. I have a line feature that I made expressing a flight path. I would like to draw a bunch of lines perpendicular to this flight path. Using the feature construction tool, I was able to draw a few of these lines. I then used Stack Profile in the 3D Analyst toolbox so that I could find the point densities in relation to the distance away from the initial vertex. However, for the purpose of my analysis, I would like to have many lines (~100) evenly from the beginning to the end of the flight path line spanning the entire swath of the data set for several point density maps.

As a result, manually creating these lines would be very tedious so I was hoping to be able to create a python script to speed up the process and be able to easily do this for future analyses. How will I be able to do this with a python script, if it is possible? I have very little experience with python scripts, so any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Or to speed up the construction process, there is this from ArcScripts 2.0 Beta http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b7185e436b204af7b89ebf0e88bb720b

0 Kudos