Boundary Labels - Move to Edge of Data Frame?

02-11-2015 02:50 PM
JohnNelson4
New Contributor

I have labels for Township and  Range set to Boundary Placement. With this the label usually finds the middle of the page (at best) while still hugging the boundary of the legal unit. I would prefer the labels to sit as close as possible to the data frame edge instead of centered in the data frame. Is this possible?

I'm using Maplex Label Engine for this. My hope is to use Data Driven Pages to create a mapbook.

Thanks

John

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

There may be something you can do with Maplex, but I don't know it well enough to give you any pointers there. As an alternative you might look into custom overlay grids (check the Desktop Help for more info). Basically, these are like grids and graticules, but are based on feature layers. One example I have used is a time zones feature layer with the custom overlay grid set to label each zone around the edge of the data frame. If the feature layer is line data the grid will center the labels on the lines around the edge of the frame. If the feature layer is polygon data the grid will center the labels on the polygon around the edge of the frame. Maybe worth looking into?

0 Kudos
JohnNelson4
New Contributor

Thanks David.

I'll give the custom overlay grids a try.

Cheers

0 Kudos