What is the population field for Kernel Density?

Jump to solution
01-27-2018 02:22 PM
__17
by
New Contributor II

And when do you use none as the input in the dialog window?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

How Kernel Density Works ... gives a few examples.  What data are your working with? and What software would be useful to provide more examples

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

How Kernel Density Works ... gives a few examples.  What data are your working with? and What software would be useful to provide more examples

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

From the link that Dan shared:

The population field could be used to weight some features more heavily than others, depending on their meaning, or to allow one point to represent several observations. For example, one address might represent a condominium with six units, or some crimes might be weighted more heavily than others in determining overall crime levels. For line features, a divided highway probably has more impact than a narrow dirt road, and a high-tension line has more impact than a standard electric pole.

Also the help for the tool itself Kernel Density—Help | ArcGIS Desktop has a extended explanation of what you can specify (numeric field, shape if it contains Z values or None if each point should be counted as 1).

rrjs67
by

Hi Dr.Patterson,

I am trying to do kernel density on a shape file . But when i try to use KDE, certain fields are not visible in the population field drop down.

Why is this so? I need the missing fields for my analysis

Wondering if you had something for me?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Are those missing fields numeric?

rrjs67
by

Yes Mr.Ayres,

The fields are numeric. I have also tried to create new field and copies these values ( using field calculator).But still the fields wouldn't show.

Thank you everyone.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

From the link I posted... you need point or line features... you have a polygon layer selected

It can be calculated for both point and line features.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dan, it seems to be a point shapefile (see the top of the toc). I guess they are the centroids of the polygons.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ahhh, I was looking in the table of contents for the map

rrjs67
by

Yes .It is the centroid for the polygons.

I am sorry about the table of contents, i highlighted the wrong layer. 

But yes, i was working KDE on centroid of polygons.

Thank you everyone

0 Kudos