What is the best way to determine the coordinates of point B based on the coordinates, distance, and bearing of point A?

02-28-2018 01:52 PM
deleted-user-DxmgOWMwQa10
New Contributor

What is the best way to determine the coordinates of point B (let's say it's in a building or somewhere GPS doesn't work) based on the coordinates, distance, and bearing of point A? I'm specifically needing it for distances shorter than 100m. An example would be that I'm at the entrance to a cave where GPS works (Point A), but I need the coordinates of Point B at 50m with a heading of 90 degrees. Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well if you were working with projected coordinates (ie non-geodesic lines and distances), and have some familiarity with python, then

origin-distances-and-bearings-geometry-wanderings

might be able to provide some help

RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The Bearing Distance to Line tool can read a table to generate a line feature class from a table with x, y, distance and bearing fields.  This tool is available at all license levels.  You can then use the Feature Vertices to Point tool to create a point feature class of the end points of the lines if you have an Advanced license.  If you don't have an Advanced license you can calculate the line end point X and Y coordinates using the geometry calculator into a pair of fields and then export a table from the table view of the Lines and then use the Make XY Event Layer to generate a point layer from those fields and export the features from the layer in the Table of Contents to create a permanent point feature class.