What is a good snapping tolerance?

Jump to solution
06-07-2016 07:23 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I am working on a project where I essentially am connecting points together with a line in a sequence.  There are hundreds of points so I move pretty quickly and I've noticed that even though I have snapping turned on, I will often get points that aren't snapped to properly.  I thought maybe it was my snapping tolerance.  I checked and it was 10 pixels so I adjusted it to 20 pixels.  I am still having this issue.  I am using the simple snapping instead of the classic snapping.  Any thoughts on an appropriate snapping tolerance?  I am working at 1:1128 scale. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the trouble with pixels, is that the actual distance depends on the zoom level, so I prefer Setting the snapping tolerance (classic snapping)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  were you can set it to an actual distance, otherwise, I am constantly changing.  You seem to work at a relatively fixed scale, so if you don't zoom in/out a lot, you probably won't notice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the trouble with pixels, is that the actual distance depends on the zoom level, so I prefer Setting the snapping tolerance (classic snapping)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  were you can set it to an actual distance, otherwise, I am constantly changing.  You seem to work at a relatively fixed scale, so if you don't zoom in/out a lot, you probably won't notice.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

For this particular project I am working at a single scale.  I will try switching to classic snapping to see if that resolves things.  I haven't noticed this behavior before this project and primarily use the simple snapping for other projects.  Not sure what it is about snapping to points that causes some issues.  It's as if the line shifts as I am double clicking the last vertex to finish the sketch.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos