Select to view content in your preferred language

Setting grid lines to a specific scale in Arc Pro

12-04-2017 01:09 PM
JonathanMagson
Emerging Contributor

I am wanting to create a map series by using grid lines as the layer, each map in the series should be 1:15000 scale. I am trying to use the Grid Index Features tool to create grid lines so that the extent of each grid is 1:15000 scale. Does anyone know what settings I would use to achieve this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

From Grid Index Features....

When you select Use Page Unit and Scale, Map Scale becomes a required parameter.

Then there is further discussion regarding the use of the Map scale, etc... Where were you in this process?

JonathanMagson
Emerging Contributor

I set map scale to 15000 in Grid index options but i'm unsure what polygon width/height and number of columns/rows I would achieve to make it so every grid corresponds to 1:15000 map scale.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you try? This parameter says that the width and height will be calculated if scale is specified.  So specifying scale (even though it is optional) implies that it will calculate the others without you having to specify them

scale
(Optional)

Scale must be specified if the index polygon height and width are to be calculated in page units. If the tool is being used outside of an active ArcGIS Pro session the default scale value is 1.

0 Kudos
JonathanMagson
Emerging Contributor

Yes I tried setting the map scale to 14000, and set the features i'm interested to intersect. But something is obviously wrong as adjusts to over 30,000 rows and columns, when I know at most it should be 100 x 100.

0 Kudos
JonathanMagson
Emerging Contributor

I found a rough way of getting around the issue: in the grid index options, I set the input feature to my feature of interest, I set polygon width and height to 4.5km (which is roughly the length of area of 1:15000 scale). Then when I created the map series with the grid as the layer and I set extent to center and scale at 1:15000.

0 Kudos