Need to create world map without dateline problem

06-30-2015 02:31 PM
Labels (3)
AndrewCuthbert1
New Contributor

Hi there,

I am creating a world map.  Sounds simple, but I am having trouble with the international dateline.  I want to show the world with North America on the left and Asia on the right.  However, I would also like the Chukchi Peninsula to remain and appear on the far right rather than having a small chunk of it floating near Alaska.

Something like this:

http://www.outline-world-map.com/map-images-original/outline-gray-white-blank-world-map-b9b.png

I understand that the Plate Carree projection is preferred.  I am not looking for a pacific centered map.I have not had much luck. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Andrew

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The central meridian on that picture looks like it's around 10E which does allow the Chukchi peninsula to stay connected to the rest of Asia.

What do you want to do with the map? Plate Carree is simple and rectangular, but it doesn't preserve any properties. You might look at Goode's Homolosine (land-based option still preserve Chuckchi too) or Mollweide, or Robinson.

Melita

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Just to expand on Melita Kennedy​'s comment, you can shift the CRS over by changing the central meridian parameter and saving as a custom projection, in the Data Frame Properties.

Original (using Web Mercator, but you can change any CRS):

1.PNG

Change CRS in Data Frame Properties:

2.PNG

Final:

3.PNG

JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III

This is what I was going to reply with, but I tried it in just WGS84 and it didn't change like I expected. I guess it has to be projected.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

If you want to do it in WGS84 aka with the data frame set to a geographic coordinate system, you have two choices:

• Use a projected coordinate system based upon Plate Carree. If you leave the standard parallel to 0, it will look the same as lat/lon values do when displayed in ArcMap.
  • Modify the prime meridian's value and change the GCS name. You then have to create a custom geographic/datum transformation. Use the Longitude Rotation method (there are no parameters).

Melita

AndrewCuthbert1
New Contributor

Thank you all! Changing the central meridian was all I needed to do.  The map is only for a quick illustration to show global office locations. Nothing fancy. Cheers.

0 Kudos