Import shapefile online

Jump to solution
05-26-2016 08:28 AM
Labels (1)
JoelMeier1
New Contributor

I'm trying to add a .shp to my www.arcgis.com​ webmap and the shapefiles keep appearing in the middle of the pacific no matter which projection I try and use. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to fix this?

Also not sure if I'm putting this in the right place. please let me know if I need to move it

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in arcmap, rightclick on the layer, bring up properties, then look for the projection and extent in the general/source tab.  It is likely that the file had a defined projection, so changing it to something else, will foul it up.  Check the extents, do they like they are in decimal degrees (-180 to 180 EW and -90 to 90 NS range) or are the numbers large (could be in one of hundreds of projections.)

Webmaps tend to use a web mercator projection (although not guaranteed), so you should check your environments and files before you change them

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Joel,

When you view the shapefile in ArcGIS Desktop, is it showing up where it is supposed to? Can you upload the shapefile here so others can test it?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in arcmap, rightclick on the layer, bring up properties, then look for the projection and extent in the general/source tab.  It is likely that the file had a defined projection, so changing it to something else, will foul it up.  Check the extents, do they like they are in decimal degrees (-180 to 180 EW and -90 to 90 NS range) or are the numbers large (could be in one of hundreds of projections.)

Webmaps tend to use a web mercator projection (although not guaranteed), so you should check your environments and files before you change them

0 Kudos
JoelMeier1
New Contributor

Using Mercator worked, it was in UTM 17.

Thank you

0 Kudos