Flow Direction Arrows Changing In Export

08-28-2018 01:04 PM
JacobConshick
New Contributor II

I am trying to create flow direction arrow for my raster. It is important we have this for storm water control.

What I did to start was create a surface raster for my area. From that I created a flow direction raster which was then reclassified to show direction in terms of N,S,E,W. Finally I went into the symbology tab.

It was in the symbology tab that I changed the rasters properties to a Vector Field and generated the size and quantity of arrows that is required for the permits.

When I tried to export the map though the arrow become extremely tiny and hundreds filled the map making it look like a grid.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening without having to take a screen shot?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from Pro 

Change the symbology of imagery—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

in the vector field section, what options did you experiment with? 

There are other threads on geonet about "vector field" if you want to search those

0 Kudos
JacobConshick
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

I will take a look on the forum for vector field. I wasn't sure where to start.

I did look at the link you provided. from what I can tell there maybe a way to make the vectors static unchanging. It just doesn't explain how to do that though.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

export the map vs export the raster hmmm

might be worth looking at this

Export or convert raster datasets—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

since there is a suggestion that one form might keep the symbology better than the other

0 Kudos
JacobConshick
New Contributor II

I did try that but the issue still remains.

Currently I have 40 flow arrows that show me the direction of the contours

These are the Stats

Each symbol represents a tile size: 12 Screen Pixel

Vector Average

Min Symbol Size 20%

Max Symbol Size 40%

What happening is when I go into layout I will see all 40 but when the Map is generate as PDF, TIFF, JPEG. or other it rescales the directional arrows, down sizing them and adding more to fit the area.

I just want to keep my 40 arrows and no matter what I have tried does that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jacob, I don't see anything to fix that offhand.  Screen grab for now and perhaps ship some sample data illustrating the issue you are having  There are too many things between the screen the file that could be the cause, the least of which may be the output format.

It could even be something like scaling

Map scales and scale properties—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

as in going to a higher resolution output file from the screen.

0 Kudos