Convert coordinate system arcmap 10.3

03-14-2019 03:11 AM
OrkhanAbdullayev
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have the list of the points with lat and long decimal degree, so I follow the steps to create the shape file as add data (text) display data and export as a shapefile, before adding the layer was set to the GCS WGS84 because my coordinates are in it, now I need to convert it to the UTM zone N39, with projections tools I did it but still the units in decimals and it shows in a different place the points is in the Caspian Sea, I need to get the coordinate of point with meters, please if you have any suggestion let me know.

Thank you for your attention.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you are using coordinates from a table to make a featureclass/event theme, the values in the table do not get changed.  You have to use the Add Geometry Attributes tool if you want to see their new values in the new coordinate system. 

Now to make sure, once you have made a layer from your tabular data, you need to use the Define Projection tool to set its coordinate system.  After it knows what coordinate system it is in, then you use the Project tool to make a new featureclass in the desired coordinate system.  It is a two step process... Define, then Project.  If you skip the first, your points won't show up in the right place.

OrkhanAbdullayev
New Contributor III

Mr. Dan Patterson - thank you for your answer, your recommendation helped to solve the issue, just for information the table I was using to create the points was with lat and long in degree, it should be always in one format or in one table if I have half of the points in DD and another half in DMS, the process will be ok?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No... you need to convert the DMS coordinates to decimal degrees.  DMS aren't 1 number, they are 3 and can't be represented in a numeric field properly in any event.  Don't skip these important steps, otherwise they will results in more problems and questions which you obviously don't want

0 Kudos
OrkhanAbdullayev
New Contributor III

And should I do that conversion in other software as excel by applying formulas DMS to DD, or is it possible in Arcmap with table field calculator?

Sorry, too much question

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the mixed values are in the same table, then you will have problems.  If the DMS values are in a separate table

Convert Coordinate Notation—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

might be useful.  If you already have stuff in a spreadsheet, fix it there