Select to view content in your preferred language

the acquisition time of historical images when using ESRI WORLD IMAGERY

Jump to solution
03-27-2024 06:18 PM
NearLeen
New Contributor II

I want to know the acquisition time of historical images in ESRI WORLD IMAGERY. I can query the acquisition time of the last updated image through the Metadata layer, but I still don't know the acquisition time of historical images. How can I get this information?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

It seems you are using Wayback to look at imagery. Remember that the date shown on the left side is the date of the Wayback Imagery archive, not the date at which the imagery was captured. Each archive is a compilation of what was in our World Imagery basemap and layer at that time and you will find older imagery in each archive. 

The above said, the older archives did have some curiosities in the imagery metadata depending on both where and when you are scrutinizing the imagery. We typically do not update the metadata for archived imagery, but I will bring this to the attention of the imagery team. 

Another way to look at archived Wayback Imagery is by visiting the Wayback Imagery group.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BernSzukalski

Add the imagery layer to a map, zoom in to your area of interest (the metadata is scale-dependent) and click to get info.

layer: 

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=10df2279f9684e4a9f6a7f08febac2a9

Zoom in then click to retrieve source, accuracy, recency, resolution:

BernSzukalski_0-1711598583409.png

Use World Imagery Wayback app to review and retrieve imagery from the World Imagery archives:

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/wayback/#active=60013&mapCenter=-115.29850%2C36.06400%2C14

0 Kudos
NearLeen
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. However, when I look up the shooting date of an image in a location I am familiar with, the result is obviously wrong. The house was built before 2020, but the image still shows a field. What should I do in this case?

the link that I have clicked:

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/wayback/#active=10&mapCenter=113.36488%2C23.04379%2C16

NearLeen_0-1711634358316.png

NearLeen_1-1711634366940.png

And I find it should be taked on 08-08-2001.

NearLeen_2-1711634790843.png

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

It seems you are using Wayback to look at imagery. Remember that the date shown on the left side is the date of the Wayback Imagery archive, not the date at which the imagery was captured. Each archive is a compilation of what was in our World Imagery basemap and layer at that time and you will find older imagery in each archive. 

The above said, the older archives did have some curiosities in the imagery metadata depending on both where and when you are scrutinizing the imagery. We typically do not update the metadata for archived imagery, but I will bring this to the attention of the imagery team. 

Another way to look at archived Wayback Imagery is by visiting the Wayback Imagery group.

0 Kudos
NearLeen
New Contributor II

😀 Cool!Wayback is a treasure trove with correct metadata.

0 Kudos