Select to view content in your preferred language

Subsetting U.S. Climate Thresholds data

05-21-2024 12:43 PM
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm trying to subset the U.S. Climate Thresholds multidimensional raster datsets (a.k.a. LOCA data) available on the Living Atlas based on this blog post: Getting started with new multidimensional climate models (esri.com).

However, in both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online, the only time value I have available seems to be 1990, even when I am working with a mid-century or late-century multidimensional raster - e.g. U.S. Climate Thresholds - LOCA RCP 4.5 Mid Century - Overview (arcgis.com).

Example: 

HollyTorpey_LSA_2-1716320151890.png

Can anyone help me understand this? Thank you in advance!

- Holly
0 Kudos
7 Replies
HollyTorpey_LSA

Update: I subset the RCP 4.5 rasters for early-, mid-, and late-century for max daily temperature using the only StdTime value available for each (1990 for both early and mid, 2099 for late) just to see what would happen. All three produced a raster with a plausible pixel value range for their timescale (based on the multidimensional raster name, not the StdTime value):

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1716322265359.png

However, if I click on a pixel to get its value, I get Daily Max Temperature of NoData for early- and mid- century and a reasonable value for late (probably because it had a valid StdTime value when I generated the subset). So it appears that there is an issue in the data, though I'm confused about how a reasonable range was calculated for symbolizing the early- and mid-century raster subsets if the pixels have no data. 

Can anyone offer any insight? I would love to be able to use these Living Atlas dataset rather than having to download the data individually for every variable, timeframe, and scenario I need.

- Holly
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

@AbigailFitzgibbon @BernSzukalski   Does either of you have any insight on this? Is there a problem with the data that is causing only the 1990-01-01 StdTime value to appear in the Subset Multidimensional Raster tool in Pro for all but the RCP4.5 late-century data, or am I doing something wrong?

Same thing happens in ArcGIS Online: 

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1716395049686.png

The RCP 4.5 Late-Century layer is the only one that behaves as expected. The other two RCP 4.5 layers (U.S. Climate Thresholds - LOCA RCP 4.5 Mid Century - Overview (arcgis.com), U.S. Climate Thresholds - LOCA RCP 4.5 Early Century - Overview (arcgis.com)) and all three RCP 8.5 layers offer only the 1990 time dimension value.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide!

- Holly
0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Holly - I've learned that Abigail has left Esri to pursue further education. I'm sending this thread on to others responsible for that content to see if they can look into things further. If you don't see a reply here soon, I'd suggest connecting with support just so this issue can be tracked and resolved.

HollyTorpey_LSA

Thanks, Bern. I appreciate the help!

- Holly
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

Hi again, Bern! Any updates on this? I'm able to subset and use the Bioclimate Projections layers from the Living Atlas without issue, but the majority of the U.S. Climate Thresholds layers remain unusable as far as I can tell because I can only access the 1990 time dimension even for the mid- and late-century layers. I'd really like to be able to incorporate them into my analysis.

Thanks!

Holly

- Holly
0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

Thanks for the nudge, I just returned to the office after travel. Let me check into this for you again...

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I chatted with the curator for the content and learned something that wasn't quite obvious to me. I've summarized below.

Abigail, in her blog article, notes the following:

BernSzukalski_0-1718059495542.png

Each of the LOCA item descriptions describes the available time ranges as follows:

Time Ranges
Statistics for each variables were calculated over a 30-year period. Four different time ranges are provided:
  • Historical: 1976-2005
  • Early-Century: 2016-2045
  • Mid-Century: 2036-2065
  • Late-Century: 2070-2099

Those layers are represented uniquely and can be identified by their name which indicates the time slice:

ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World

BernSzukalski_1-1718059828126.png

So the time values are spurious in the multidimensional imagery and for some reason 1990 is the default in the time range when you look at it in Map Viewer. This can be ignored, what you should be looking for is the appropriate item with the range as noted above for your work.

Hope that helps and makes sense - it took me some closer scrutiny of the items to get my head around it but it makes sense to me now.

0 Kudos