Data Error in USA Counties?

Jump to solution
08-04-2021 11:46 AM
DannyCassiday
New Contributor II

I stumbled on a data error in this item: https://ugsolar.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=48f9af87daa241c4b267c5931ad3b226

The issue is that Accomack County, Virginia includes (erroneously) a tiny piece of land that is actually Amherst County, Virginia. The error is located at:
79.0363383°W, 37.5974330°N

I wouldn't normally write about a data issue, but since this layer is marked as authoritative (and is a pretty popular one) I thought it was important enough to report.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A good place to start is usually the layer's metadata. In it, you'll find information about points of contact, the steps taken to produce the layer, and of particular relevance here, the appropriate scales at which the dataset is meant to be used.

I'd reach out to the Content Team using the methods in the metadata and bring it to their attention.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A good place to start is usually the layer's metadata. In it, you'll find information about points of contact, the steps taken to produce the layer, and of particular relevance here, the appropriate scales at which the dataset is meant to be used.

I'd reach out to the Content Team using the methods in the metadata and bring it to their attention.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DannyCassiday
New Contributor II

Good call, thanks Josh!

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I'll bring this to the team's attention - stay tuned for additional comments.

BernSzukalski

Thanks for reporting this. This data edit will go into an updated production layer within a week.

BernSzukalski

The update has been posted, the small polygon no longer exists. Thanks for reporting.