Select to view content in your preferred language

2020 Census Data by Block Group

04-26-2022 08:22 AM
RachaelMurtaugh
Occasional Contributor

I was able to find census data by census tract, but we are hoping to get down to the census block level. I thought I found it earlier on the Living Atlas (available using credits), but now I can't find it. Anyone have some suggestions on how to get this information? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Census' own website is probably your best bet.

Personally, I like to use their API to pull the data. If you know the area you need data for and the variables you'd like, it's not too difficult to construct the appropriate URL request. Here's one of their examples:

https://api.census.gov/data/2020/dec/pl?get=NAME&for=block:*&in=state:06%20county:037 

Once you have that, it's pretty easy to convert it to a table that can be joined to the block features themselves, which you can pull from the TIGERweb services.

If that's a little too advanced, the census website has a number of more user-friendly tools for downloading data, both tabular and spatial.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RachaelMurtaugh
Occasional Contributor

Could you expand on that first part? I'm trying to understand the URL part. 

0 Kudos
DianaCLavery
New Contributor II

Hi Rachael, Block-level data from the Decennial Census is available in Living Atlas, no credits required.  What state are you in?  I can point you to your state's layer.  Here's an announcement blog about Census redistricting data and maps available in ArcGIS Living Atlas 

RachaelMurtaugh
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. I was able to find it!

0 Kudos