Select to view content in your preferred language

OpenStreetMap Vector Basemap: Add localized name tags

02-07-2022 07:11 AM
Labels (1)
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In OpenStreetMap, many features have localized name tags. name:en=some_english_name, name:de=some_german_name, etc.

One of the advantages of vector basemaps, in my opinion, is the ability to have multiple attributes available and to adjust what and how things are labelled. This is especially useful in the case of localization, providing a map in a given user's chosen language.

I know this sort of change would increase storage and mess with the underlying schema, but I think it would be a good move for the vector tiles to have access to other languages' name tags.

2 Comments
dkensok

Thanks for the idea, @jcarlson.  We agree that would be a useful addition to the OpenStreetMap Vector Basemap, similar to what we have been able to do with localizing the Esri Vector Basemaps.

The team is actively considering how this can be done and working on a plan to enable.  We are looking to support localization as part of the OSM Daylight Distribution, which is the data source that we now use to create the OSM Vector Basemap.  We hope to enable an initial proof-of-concept for this in the next 2-3 releases of the basemap.

BernSzukalski
Status changed to: In Product Plan