Select to view content in your preferred language

Learn to explore Landsat imagery using Landsat Explorer

08-21-2024 08:30 AM
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor
0 4 328

Jointly managed by NASA and the USGS, Landsat is the longest running spaceborne earth imaging and observation program in history. The Landsat program began in 1972, with the launch of Landsat 1. Beginning with Landsat 4, the program began providing mission to mission data continuity.

The Landsat Level-2 multispectral imagery is available in ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World as a time enabled image service, accessible across the ArcGIS system. For more about the service and the data, see Landsat Level-2.

Landsat Explorer is an ArcGIS Living Atlas app that enables you to investigate and unlock the wealth of information that Landsat provides. 

lle-6

For more information, see Learn to explore Landsat imagery using Landsat Explorer by @BernSzukalski and @RobertWaterman.

Visit the ArcGIS Living Atlas home page to learn about what's new and how to use content. See the ArcGIS Living Atlas blog for more blog articles that help you get the most out of Living Atlas.

4 Comments
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

The predecessor for this was the ESRI Landsat APP and it had an option to view a pan-sharpened natural color image. Any chance that this app will get a similar option? I like using this app (and the Sentinel Explorer) to monitor locations in real time and the pan sharpened option is essential for that.

BernSzukalski

I am thinking you are referring to the Landsat Viewer, which is still available and still covered in some of our tutorials. The goal is to replace the Viewer with the newer Landsat Explorer, built upon the current version of our ArcGIS JS API. 

BernSzukalski

Additional info... There are no plans to add pan-sharpening to Landsat Explorer. The short reason is that the panchromatic band is not part of the Level-2 science products that the service and app are based upon.

SteveCole
Honored Contributor

The old app I was referring to was created by ESRI (but unsupported) and had the URL of: landsatapp.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com

The url is now dead but that app did have a panchromatic merge option in it. Anyways, thanks for at least confirming that it won't be showing up. Disappointing.

About the Author
Esri technical evangelist and product advocate. On a good day I'm making a map. On a great day I'm on one. https://www.linkedin.com/in/bernszukalski/ bszukalski@esri.com