JSAPI 4.2 - mapView SIGNIFICANTLY slower performance

01-03-2017 02:16 PM
AnthonyPelikan1
New Contributor

Hello Community!

I usually do not reach out to you, but I am quite concerned and had a bit of a rough day.

You see I upgraded our app from 4.1 to 4.2 and saw a dramatically slower performance with the mapView and our tile layers. We did see improved performance for sceneView and less click even slippage, which continues to be a major problem for us.

When I switch back to 4.1 my experience is fluid, handles wobbling and fast scrolling just fine. However 4.2 panning, zooming, and click events are lethargic, sluggish, and downright frustrating.

I would like to accomplish the following from this post:

1. Confirm with the community that they have experienced a similar issue.
  2. Get clarity if mapView is going away under jsapi 4 and expect it to become more diminished.
  3. How long can I keep using 4.1 in production?
  4. I would like to get support to look at our issue, specifically someone from the jsapi team for a contracted few hours. Not sure how to approach that.

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alan,

We'll take a look at this issue. Can you provide some more information like which browser and version are you using, your machine specs, etc?

> Get clarity if mapView is going away under jsapi 4 and expect it to become more diminished.

MapView won't be going away or diminished. It is a critical component of our 2D API. 

> How long can I keep using 4.1 in production?

You can use 4.1 in production for as long as you like. Each version is typically supported for 4 years after the release date - Esri Support 4.0 

Thanks for bringing this up!

AnthonyPelikan1
New Contributor

Thank you Kristian!

We are using chrome 55.0.2883.87 (latest)

My machine is windows 7 pro 64 bit

i7 4790k @ 4.0

16 gig ram 

I have about 8 tile layers on, which seems after 6 tile layers it starts to slow down significantly.

That is fantastic news about the 4.x cdn links, it really takes the pressure off to constantly play catch up.

Regards,

Alan

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks! There were some significant changes to MapView under the hood in 4.2 that may have impacted performance here. We'll work on performance improvements for 4.3, which is planned for release in March. 

AnthonyPelikan1
New Contributor

The performance for 3D sceneView did noticeably improve.

Our app is fairly advanced for 4.x, we use about 90% of the library at this point, with significantly large data sources. If you might be interested in seeing it action, we can showcase our hard work and the changes we've encountered.

Thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Sure! I would love to see it!

0 Kudos