Select to view content in your preferred language

IE11 mouse wheel scrolling and map zoom

12-05-2013 11:32 AM
EdwardSohn1
New Contributor
I upgraded to IE11 to improve performance from IE9 and now the mouse wheel scrolling zoom in/out is affected.
Whether I scroll up/down the map only zooms in, not out.

This is not seen with IE9 nor IE10 nor chrome nor firefox.
Just IE 11.

is there a workaround...?
Quick answer would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
33 Replies
AndrewWillingale
New Contributor III
No release date yet...can you test with 3.8 and confirm that the IE11 scrolling issue is fixed with that version?

Hi Derek, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my work place is still on IE8 until we move to Windows 7 next year, so I can't test 3.8. I've only become aware of the IE11 issue from a member of the public.

Cheers,
Andrew.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor II
It's still a good idea to test with 3.8. The version on js.arcgis.com is our final build. We're nearly finished with the docs and are debating whether or not to announce before christmas/new year's or hold it until after the new year.
0 Kudos
AndrewWillingale
New Contributor III
It's still a good idea to test with 3.8. The version on js.arcgis.com is our final build. We're nearly finished with the docs and are debating whether or not to announce before christmas/new year's or hold it until after the new year.

Hi Derek.

We're a bit nervous of upgrading to 3.8 without seeing the documentation which describes the changes. Are you able to advise whether there is anything in this release which changes existing functionality and potentially cause issues? Does it still use Dojo 1.9.1?

If 3.8 fixes the mouse wheel issue with IE11 then I really feel it should be released sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Andrew.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor II
Hi Derek.

We're a bit nervous of upgrading to 3.8 without seeing the documentation which describes the changes. Are you able to advise whether there is anything in this release which changes existing functionality and potentially cause issues? Does it still use Dojo 1.9.1?

If 3.8 fixes the mouse wheel issue with IE11 then I really feel it should be released sooner rather than later.

We're going to wait until after the new year to announce 3.8. As I said previously, please feel free to upgrade your app (in a development or test environment of course...) and test with 3.8.

As far as what we changed for 3.8, this is a minor release. We still use Dojo 1.9.1 but did upgrade dgrid, put-selector and xstyle.
0 Kudos
DerivenC
New Contributor II
We're going to wait until after the new year to announce 3.8. As I said previously, please feel free to upgrade your app (in a development or test environment of course...) and test with 3.8.

As far as what we changed for 3.8, this is a minor release. We still use Dojo 1.9.1 but did upgrade dgrid, put-selector and xstyle.

I would be happy to test it.  Is it possible to get the SDK or API download to do the test?  I have to pull down the SDK/API because there are some bugs I always fix that haven't been fixed yet from ESRI.

If not, that's okay.  I would prefer to do a full test.  But I can do an isolated bug test if you would prefer.

edit: tested isolated bug and it works fine in IE11, Chrome, and Firefox desktop version.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
@benjamin
the download is not available yet, but you can find the hosted version of 3.8 is already available for testing
http://js.arcgis.com/3.8/
0 Kudos
DerivenC
New Contributor II
@benjamin
the download is not available yet, but you can find the hosted version of 3.8 is already available for testing
http://js.arcgis.com/3.8/

Isolated bug test: only testing the scroll-to-zoom bug.  Standard map features seemed to work from this initial test.

Tested it on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 64-bit with success.
Tested IE10 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with success.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor II
Thanks for testing and confirming 3.8 fixes this issue.

Regarding:

I have to pull down the SDK/API because there are some bugs I always fix that haven't been fixed yet from ESRI.

Can you elaborate? Have you logged bugs with support?
0 Kudos
DerivenC
New Contributor II
Thanks for testing and confirming 3.8 fixes this issue.

Regarding:

Can you elaborate? Have you logged bugs with support?

Hey Derek,

Appreciate your interest in why I havent.  For a couple of reasons really...

1) They've been reported via the forums and ideas sites either by me or someone else.  And a couple of the ones that I posted never got a response.  I do post my workarounds when it doesn't involve tampering with the API.
2) The "report a bug" site is a "Support Request Form".  I personally do not want to request support.  I want to submit a bug.

This is not indicating that ESRI ignores the community or anything.  I'm fully aware you are all busy and I certainly appreciate the tools you provide us.  That is why I don't mind delving into the code and temporarily fixing till you can.

If or when you have a better or direct link to the developers to submit bug fixes, please let me know.  What I'd love to see is a public or private git repository that you grant a few of us access (sort of like the beta program).  We could help you expedite these bug fixes and improve the API & SDK -- and you choose what you want to accept.

Whew!  This certainly went off topic. 🙂
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor II
Thanks for the additional info. We try to keep a close eye on this forum, but things slip through the cracks. I'm especially curious about that FF-specific issue. We'll look into that.

When you absolutely need an answer, tech support is where you should go. Even if you need to log a bug, support is still the way to go. If that's too much trouble, you can always email js_feedback@esri.com to get our attention.
0 Kudos