Esri DevSummit 2015

02-12-2015 11:58 AM
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

What are you hoping to get out of the DevSummit this year? What is your focus? Web for Mobile, Native apps for Mobile,  Desktop, Web.

What skills do you hope to improve or acquire?

Have you found it difficult to make connections in the past? What barriers have you ran into?

Do you connect with others outside of the conference in the evening to talk GIS development or not sure how?

What do you like best; user presentations, Esri technical sessions, lightning talks the Plenary, dodgeball(careful here), speedgeeking, hands on training  or Esri Showcases?

What else are you excited about or look forward. I'm very interested in what you have to say.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TeroRönkkö
Occasional Contributor

I have been there twice and have loved those technical sessions most informationwise. 2012 there was this meet the developers party outside which was also VERY VERY good. I hope they still have it or they arrange shadowparty somewhere with all the esri developers. And me.

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I've been three times myself. Technical sessions are excellent. I even go to the beginners ones over as I expect to pick new things up and have.

0 Kudos
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

I enjoy it all. Tech sessions are great to get it from the horses mouth, but I really enjoy the user presentations. Tech sessions always look good scripted, but I want to see how stuff actually gets used and what gotchas other users may have come across.

Of course I'm really interested in the web stuff, but I'm also hoping to see some cool stuff on how people are using the current tech. I'm looking to see what the native devs are doing. I'm also hoping to get an idea of what issues others may be running into. What are the pain-points? What are their obstacles? What do they want to learn?

I've met lots of great people at the DevSummit over the years (inlcuding you Chris!) and always look forward to meeting more. I'm pretty much available to talk and I'll be hanging out for a couple of nights when I'm not driving to and from Palm Springs (yay for living reasonably close).

I'll also have a few copies of my book to hand out at the conference during my presentation (I think it was accepted, it's always a surprise).

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I like the user sessions as well. It's nice to see how others are applying the technology. I am also thankful form meeting people like you as well Rene; you have seriously helped with some issues I don't think I would have figured out on my own. I'm looking to meeting more as well and hope to see you again at a conference in the future if not this one.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I have been going for 7 years now and like Rene I enjoy it all. It is good to meet other developers and see how people are putting the tech to work in real projects. The Dev Summit is one of my primary ways in gauging where esri is heading with technology which will influence my development efforts. Having direct access to all the development teams is great. See you guys there.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I missed last year, but this year will be my 4th time. It is a knowledge explosion and both the user as the technical sessions can be very good. In the past the user presentation by Dave Bouman were very good. Since he is now working for Esri, you should his technical presentation(s). Speed geeking is fun, but probably the presentation you cannot miss will be :

Return of Killer Apps: Buggier, Bolder, Bitter by Mansour Raad and Sajit Thomas

Thursday, 12 Mar 2015, 5:30pm - 6:30pm

Esri Events App

Fun and really geeky.

I also have seen many people leave early and don’t attend the Friday session. On Friday a lot of the road ahead session are given. Visit the one that matches your interest (or all), since you will learn what is coming.

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I may have to check it out. Hopefully it's recorded. It's up in the air as to whether I can go or not.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Agreed!  Mansour and Sagit always have an excellent presentation.  I really enjoy their Killer Apps series.  Very excited to see what they have this year!

0 Kudos