Collection date of imagery on 'satellite' basemap

12-12-2013 05:09 AM
BradleyNeish1
New Contributor II
Is there a way to get the collection date of the aerial imagery of the current extent in a map from the satellite basemap? I was thinking i could add the world imagery as a rest service and do an identify.. but this seems quite tedious and very unefficient. I hope there's an better way that I am just missing.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
unfortunately it is a mosaic, the date varies tile by tile and even within tiles
0 Kudos
BradleyNeish1
New Contributor II
unfortunately it is a mosaic, the date varies tile by tile and even within tiles

I am aware of that. However, it *is* in the metadata associated with the image service, as well as its resolution and source. It can be found with an identifytask. i was just hoping there was a less resource intensive way than to do an identifytask everytime the map moves.
I am looking for something similar to how in Google Earth the imagery date is always listed at the bottom of the screen. I realize that, especially in large areas, the imagery can be from a range of dates, but this information would still be useful, whether it be the oldest known date, newest date, or a range.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Use the first map here:  http://www.arcgis.com/features/maps/imagery.html

Navigate to your area of interest then click the map.
0 Kudos
BradleyNeish1
New Contributor II
Use the first map here:  http://www.arcgis.com/features/maps/imagery.html

Navigate to your area of interest then click the map.

thanks, but that's not what i am looking for at all. i already know how to manually find a date for an area, and i've seen that map before.
let me try to explain again. inside of a js map application using the 'satellite' basemap option, i would like to have the image date always visible and dynamically update as the user zooms and pans around the map like the service layer credits do and similar to what is available in Google Earth. I can accomplish this with an identifytask and the world imagery rest service, but i was just curious if there was a more efficient way to do this. thank you.
0 Kudos
FriedaL
New Contributor II

Hi. Is there any news on that?

I would also be interested in the answer. I am looking for the exact same thing.

0 Kudos