Select to view content in your preferred language

Which app to use for address mapping for my boss?

3 weeks ago
kaww02
by
New Contributor III

My boss wants to take an excel spreadsheet (or some version, not google sheets) of address that he adds to regularly and see them populate on a private map whose pinpoint is colored based on the year field. He wants to be the one to have access to this list and view the map. This needs to be simple for him to use. Is there an app that is best? I read about ArcGIs Excel but so far it looks like we do not have that. Is there another product I should consider? I tried mapping it in excel with just their 3d mapping, but I feel it isn't as smooth as he may want as far as just adding addresses in each time he wants to.  I appreciate any suggestions even if not ESRI since this is simple.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndyGarwood
New Contributor II

if your using MS products you could use a sharepoint list instead of a spreadsheet, then use power automate to arcgis tools to add to a feature service in AGOL - if you are going to geocode using AGOL there is a credit cost - also the addresses will have to be complete and in a good format i.e. comma separated for house name/number & street, area, city, post/zip code - if it contains spatial refs its easier and cheaper

Get started with ArcGIS Connectors for Power Automate—ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 | Documentation

once in AGOL you can share a private map with styling on the year field using a basic app if all they need is a point and click for attributes?

kaww02
by
New Contributor III

That may work if I could teach him how to update the sharepoint / address as needed. I'll look into it. I suppose we can use our portal and not use credits maybe. I am new to the portal as we don't really use it so this may be a good learning curve for me if I can get it put together quickly - I am not really computer savvy but what you described sounds simple enough. I appreciate the feedback! Thank you.

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS for Excel is a free add-on, it sounds like it could be good fit to your use case. 

Here are instructions for installing it. The capabilities of the add-on depends on if you have an ArcGIS named user or not.

Install and manage ArcGIS for Excel—ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 | Documentation

kaww02
by
New Contributor III

I do think that excel seems the easiest for what we need. However, the address choice for mapping the points is greyed out.  I'll have to dig into why but otherwise that may be simple enough for her. Thank you,

kaww02_0-1718889901054.png

0 Kudos
kaww02
by
New Contributor III

Figured out why Addresses was greyed out for anyone who sees this later - it was as simple as I wasn't logged into my ArcGIS account.