Sidebar Instant App Deciding on Layers in Layer List

Jump to solution
02-16-2022 10:49 AM
KaraUtter
Occasional Contributor III

It would be extremely helpful to be able to choose which layers show in the layers list in the sidebar instant app. Or all instant apps for that matter. Some layers are strictly for reference purposes and we take those out of the visibility of the user for ease and simplicity of user-interaction, such as a county boundary, roads, city points with labels, etc. I don't see a way to take out these reference layers from the layers in the sidebar.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

@KaraG  along with the info Cameron provide above we've also enhanced the Sidebar app in the next release to support hiding layers in the layer list during the app configuration. This update will go live in the next release of ArcGIS Online

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Kara

The ability to disable layers from appearing in the layer list was added to the Sidebar app in last nights ArcGIS Online update. Let me know if you have any feedback once you have time to check it out. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CameronSmith_esri
New Contributor II

Hey Kara,

I just tested this out, and you can choose in the MapViewer whether to show a layer's info in the Legend. To do this: 

1. Click "Show properties" on the layer
  2. In the right hand panel that opens, under the "Symbology" accordian, unselect the "Show in map legend"
  3. Then save the map

This configuration in the MapViewer will then flow into the Sidebar Instant App.

Let me know if you have any further questions

0 Kudos
KaraUtter

Cameron,

I already have these settings configured to show or not show in the legend however I am talking about the layer list that allows users to turn on or off the layers. It looks like Kelly has let me know this will be an option to control in the next release.

KaraUtter_0-1647969673244.png

KaraUtter_1-1647969701272.png

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

@KaraG  along with the info Cameron provide above we've also enhanced the Sidebar app in the next release to support hiding layers in the layer list during the app configuration. This update will go live in the next release of ArcGIS Online

0 Kudos
KaraUtter

Thank you, Kelly, this is exactly what I was looking for. The Layer list and not the legend settings. I look forward to this in the next release.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Kara

The ability to disable layers from appearing in the layer list was added to the Sidebar app in last nights ArcGIS Online update. Let me know if you have any feedback once you have time to check it out. 

0 Kudos
KaraUtter

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the heads up. I will test that out and get back to you.

0 Kudos
KaraUtter

Hi Kelly! I am excited to say that it worked. One piece of feedback I would say is an option to choose all layers - I had to individually turn on 25 layers.

0 Kudos
KaraUtter

Hi Kelly, just noticed something else. We are unable to turn on or off a complete map image layer. If you see my screenshot below, I have PLSS map image layer in the list, and even if I don't have either of the layers marked to be included in the list, the app keeps them in the list.

KaraUtter_0-1648067425758.png

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

@KaraUtter  sounds like a bug. I'll take a look and see if we can get a fix in. 

0 Kudos