Select to view content in your preferred language

Elevation Profile Tool Not Displaying

Jump to solution
06-09-2023 03:27 AM
MichaelHalley
New Contributor III

Hi There

1. When I add the elevation profile tool to a Media Map Instant App, it doesn't always display - in both the configurator and the published app. It is a bit buggy.

2. Another frustration is, when scrolling along an elevation profile on a mobile device, it automatically zooms into the profile rather than just scrubbing along it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

@MichaelHalley  thanks for sending the sample. In that particular test app 'Add elevation profile link to popup' has been enabled and in that case a new action item is added to each line feature's popup. So if you click on a line feature you'll see the option to show the profile for that line. If you want it to always be in the bottom corner disable the popup option. 

For the multiple line segments is this something where you'd want to see both segments in the same profile chart? Or separate charts? 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KellyHutchins

@MichaelHalley  I ran a few tests and haven't run into cases where the elevation profile doesn't display. Do you have details (or a test case) showing when this happens? For example is it with certain layers or when using a particular set of steps? 

I was able to reproduce the zoom into the chart when scrolling the line on mobile and will submit that to the team that built the elevation widget to see if the behavior can be improved. 

MichaelHalley
New Contributor III

Hey @AKell 

Thanks for the swift response!

I've made this trial web app publicly available: https://forge-sa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/media/index.html?appid=e87a957705e74e2295beb3086b2a8c5...

You'll see below that the tool is set to display (positioned bottom right), but doesn't appear in the web app:

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 18.53.07.png

2. Thanks for escalating it.

(It would be cool if the elevation profile tool had the same functionality as it does in Experience builder, e.g. the option to select multiple line segments.)

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

@MichaelHalley  thanks for sending the sample. In that particular test app 'Add elevation profile link to popup' has been enabled and in that case a new action item is added to each line feature's popup. So if you click on a line feature you'll see the option to show the profile for that line. If you want it to always be in the bottom corner disable the popup option. 

For the multiple line segments is this something where you'd want to see both segments in the same profile chart? Or separate charts? 

MichaelHalley
New Contributor III

@KellyHutchins

1. Elevation profile display: Ah, yes that is so, thanks for pointing that out (might be worth putting a tooltip explaining that adding the link to the pop-up overrides it displaying in the actual map?). However, there is still something slightly buggy, as it only displays in the published version and not in the configurator:
    Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 19.05.10.png

2. Multiple segments in profile: It would cool to see multiple segments in one profile (like in the tool function in the Experience Builder). In EB the next optional segments that you can select are highlighted in yellow which joins multiple sections (which is great!). 
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 19.11.00.png

2.1 The direction-change switch is also helpful and would be great if it could be included in the Instant Web App version. An even better development would be if you could use the "New Profile" function that snaps to a line-segment layer (though I appreciate that that would be quite advanced).

2.2 It would also be helpful to have a little start and end icon on the highlighted segment (Maybe a white dot on one end and a checkered flag on the other), to help indicated the orientation of the highlighted segment.

Thanks again for your feedback!

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

I'll take a look at the behavior not showing up in the config only in the published version and work on a fix. 

Thanks for the feedback on the kinds of features you'd like to see added to the Elevation Profile widget. I'll share them with the team and we'll evaluate them for a future release. 

MichaelHalley
New Contributor III

Hi @KellyHutchins,

What is the best way to find out the progress of the suggested features? We would love to offer those features to our clients. 

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Michael,

You can submit an enhancement request to Esri support  and they have tools to allow you to view the issue status.