Select to view content in your preferred language

Basemap Toggle Breaking Public Sharing Settings

05-07-2023 05:55 PM
Labels (1)
mackenzie_firstname
New Contributor III

Hi there,

We have a couple of public-facing Zone Lookup instant apps from our ArcGIS Enterprise Portal. Our data is kept private using Views, and the data we are sharing on the apps have Limit Usage settings applied to ensure that the data can only be viewed on our instant apps.

When setting up the instant apps, public viewing works completely fine, until we enable the Basemap toggle. The user is prompted to sign into our ArcGIS Enterprise environment in order to see the application. At first, I thought this might be because the basemap we selected in the basemap toggle settings was not publicly shared. So I tried using public basemaps from the Living Atlas, or publicly shared basemaps that are inside our Portal content. However, the public-facing app would not become available again.

So, I set up a new instant app and went through the entire process of setting it up again. After each configuration of the application, I would refresh the application in an incognito window to confirm that an external user would still be able to use it. Again, everything worked fine until I turned on the Basemap toggle. Refreshing my incognito window led to a sign-in page. I switched to a public basemap but could not bring back the application.

We have resolved to setting up our public-facing instant apps without touching the basemap toggle, and they work fine. However we like the basemap toggle functionality and they would really add a lot to the functionality.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the basemap toggle in public-facing instant apps, or could this be a bug? It would be great to see if I am doing something wrong, so I can get the application working for our users.

Note: We just upgraded to Enterprise 11.1, but were also experiencing this issue while we were on 11.0.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

I ran a quick test and was able to add the basemap toggle w/o authentication. Here's a test app: 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=3ac9bd7ad88349ea8be0067f73b7f788&locale=...

Do you have more details on the basemap you selected? 

0 Kudos
mackenzie_firstname
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for testing that!

The basemap we are wanting to use in the Basemap Toggle is a version of the NZ Imagery which is saved in our Enterprise Portal and is publicly shared (based on the following): https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d284729222d04a3cb548cfe27716ea43

When selecting a basemap from the Basemap Toggle settings, we have limited Living Atlas choices which is why we have created our own version.

However, the public sharing stops working for us as soon as the Basemap Toggle is turned on - even after turning it back off (with the app is not using any basemap), it can no longer be accessed.

The map which powers the Instant App does have a hosted feature layer view with limited usage settings applied, but I have created another app with the exact same settings/configuration that works fine, the only difference when I set it up was that I didn't touch the Basemap Toggle. Both apps have been allowed in the limited usage settings.

I will have a look to see if there's a way to use or test any other publicly shared basemaps. Our Enterprise Portal has quite strict security settings so I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Sorry for the delay on this one. I created an updated test that uses your alternate basemap and its working for me. 

https://jsapi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=09add19b348f462ca3ca8720dcf1c423&...

If you run your app with the browser developer console open do you see any errors?  Also which version of Enterprise? The NZ imagery basemap isn't in web mercator and if your original basemap is and the version of portal you are using uses a version of the Esri JavaScript API that is older than 4.23 you won't be able to have basemaps with different spatial references. 

0 Kudos