Sidebar app - Support editing/adding related records

09-23-2021 11:18 AM
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

The new "Sidebar" Instant App brings a new and simplified web editing experience, especially for our users who are not frequent users of GIS tools. My team and I are excited to switch some of our editing apps over to this. As always though, an enhancement request 🙂

A common request I see during the UC, Esri Community, and in our organization is an increasing need for ways to interact with, view, and edit related tables in a web environment. For us, this is especially true as we continue to deploy Field Maps, which make use of related tables for 1 to many things like assets to inspections. 

A common question from our Field Maps users is... how do I view or make changes back in the office after collecting these inspections in the field? Presently, the only way that I know of which supports both editing and adding related records in a web environment is via the Smart Editor widget in WAB, or by using the Crowdsource Manager configurable app (but which is otherwise very limited in functionality).

I think the new Sidebar Instant App presents a great opportunity to add this functionality to the current set of Edit tools. 

Example I made in Paint...

BrittanyBurson_0-1632420291268.png

Thank you!

3 Comments
JacquieKovarik

@BrittanyBurson, I couldn't agree more with this enhancement request! I hope Esri takes this into consideration for a future release. The ability to view, edit and filter related table information is essential to so many geospatial workflows.

Amanda__Huber

I would like to add out voice to this as well. With the deprecation of Web App Builder and Experience builder being buggy/nuanced we need a straightforward Related Table editing App solution. Instant apps needs to support related table editing. Please consider this in a future update. 

Amanda__Huber

Hey Everyone, 

-UPDATE-
I did a little more digging and found this video: https://youtu.be/oZV8M1P6Z2Q

It appears related table editing this is supported in the Sidebar Instant app (not sure about others) for "Hosted Services" (not referenced services- we have an issue with this) and is configured through the Map Viewer's form builder.

The workflow from the video- 

Amanda__Huber_1-1709573435486.png

Amanda__Huber_2-1709573494882.png

Amanda__Huber_0-1709573184752.png

Let me know if this works for your orgs!

Best, 

Amanda Huber